[net.nlang.africa] South Africa--who does business there?

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (09/10/85)

Despite all the news in the papers about disvestment of stocks
in companies that do business with South Africa, I have yet to
see a list of such companies.

Surely such a list exists.  Could anyone tell me where to get
one?

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

        Your god may be dead, but mine aren't.

mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) (09/20/85)

++
> Despite all the news in the papers about disvestment of stocks
> in companies that do business with South Africa, I have yet to
> see a list of such companies.
>                                      Sue Brezden

You can probably get one by writing (or calling) the United Nations
Human Rights Commission.  (212-754-5930)  I got one by going there.
There is a UN Center Against Apartheid, but they said they don't
publish anything.  They do have a mailing list which you can get
on by calling them (212-754-2488).  The newsletter is called "Notes
& Documents"

The list of companies is called the Khalifa Report, and it is in such
demand that I could only get a copy in French at that time (last June).

Another interesting document which should be out by now is the
Report of the Secretary General on Trade Union Rights in Southern Africa
(ECOSOC, 1985).

The problem with that list, I think, is that it lists *all* companies,
and what you really want, I think (to be an effective boycotter or
organizer) is to distinguish between those who just sell their
wares in SA and those who take advantage of the cheap labor, and
thereby perpetuate apartheid.  There is some description on selected
companies (I wish I could read French).

-Mark Garrett