[net.music.gdead] Political?

nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) (04/11/85)

     As an avid Dead fan for going on 15 years now, and as a sometimes
political activist, I have always been disappointed with the apolitical
nature of the Dead and their songs.  I have felt that the Deads lyrics
and activities were an attempt to promote positive asspects of American
culture but these attempts fell short becouse of their distannce from
the political arena.  It has onlybeen lately that I have learned that
they have been active in a moderate way.   I have found out that they
have been doing benefit concerts for what I consider worthy causes for
going back to the begining.  Forgetting the concerts for the Hells
Angels ( a group that I do not consider a positive political force) they
have done concerts for Angela Davis and the Black Panthers (both with
poor P.R. but positive and potent forces in their time) for Tom Hayden
and anti-nuclear groups.

     Now we are finding political messages in their song.  I should have
said blatent political messages, I believe that their lyrics have always
been political in a positive sence all along, but on a alegorical level.
One of their latest songs, "Throwing Stones" is and obvious anti-nuclear
war song.

    I am happy  to see it.

                             - Andy Bindman

P.S. Only three days to two glorious nights at Irvine.

"Singing ashes, ashes all fall down..."

From postnews Wed Apr 10 07:58:33 1985
Subject: Re: Reading between the grooves
Newsgroups: net.music

    I dont know if anyone has mentioned Dave Bromberg's album "Bandit in
a Bathing Suit" where the last grooves of the record end with an
infinitely long ode to Debbie Boone and Tod Rundgren(sp?) and other pop
wonders of our age.

                                   Andy Bindman
.

From postnews Wed Apr 10 11:54:36 1985
Subject: Re: DEADHEADS ETC>
Newsgroups: net.music

> > Actually, when I want an example of a snide, rude, intolerrant net article,
> > I look for one signed "Rich Rosen". [NO ;-)]  [DON STEIN]
>
> Your intolerance and double standards smell pretty bad.  I don't need your
> lame attempts at abuse.
>
> 					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

    Ah, love.  What a spat.

    We on the net have no use for either of your macho and witty
attempts at cutting eachother down.  Why not just have a duel and get it
over with.  Maybe you'd both get lucky and we all would be winners.

                               - Andrew Bindman

cliff@unmvax.UUCP (04/14/85)

> Forgetting the concerts for the Hells
> Angels ( a group that I do not consider a positive political force) they
> have done concerts for

Perhaps the Hell's Angels aren't a positive political force (I consider them
a social group or fraternal ogranization), but the benefit concerts were to
raise money for a political problem the HA were having at the time.  It became
Politically Correct to say bad things about Hell's Angels members, much like
it is PC to be part of Reagan's "War on Drugs."  This led to all sorts of early
70's government b.s. (remember what Nixon was doing to the country in general).
Among other things the then current HA leader was arrested and tossed in jail
on trumped up charges.  I believe much of the money went to his legal defense.
Check out the movie "Hell's Angels Forever" for a brief explanation as well
as a few shots of Jerry and Friends playing and talking ~1974.  Don't take
this paragraph as an attempt to justify my "non-political dead" stance, I just
thought I would mention "Hell's Angels Forever."

On another note, I received this letter in the mail the other day:

    Subject: Re: Are they political?

    I have have always thought of the dead as very much non-political.
    In fact, the concept of ego death which pervades their early material
    is the antithisis of political statement.  I suppose that this holds less
    truth these days in light of Jerry's recent bust and Bobby's IZOD shirts.
    See what happens when you give up hallucinagens? :-

I guess there is general agreement that the band started out quite less
political then it is now and that even now they are not anywhere near as
political as say Joan Baez in the woodstock days.

Back to the days of early dead:
It's fun listening to a tape of 2-14-68 with the full Alligator that was editted
to fit on "Anthem of the Sun."  At one point in the background someone (Phil?)
is singing "Burn down the Carousel and the Avalon..."  Sounded like a fun time
for all.  Who else would like to see a good chaotic Alligator at a future show?
They knocked out a couple of acoustic gators in '80, but I'd love to see an
electric feedback soaked alligator (maybe even with Matt Kelly harping away).

					--Cliff