[net.sf-lovers] L. Ron Hubbard dies

BILLW@SU-SCORE.ARPA@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (01/29/86)

From: William "Chops" Westfield <BILLW@SU-SCORE.ARPA>

The church of scientology announced monday (27-jan) night.
he was 74.  So much for the decology.
-------

wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (01/31/86)

From: Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI <wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA>

This may well be a duplicate; I sent the same message from BRL-SMOKE earlier
today, but discovered that they have been having mailer problems, so maybe
you didn't get it. If you had, just flush this one. WM

From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Tuesday, 26 Jan. '86:

Los Angeles (AP) -- L. Ron Hubbard, the science fiction writer who
founded the controversial Church of Scientology three decades ago, has
died, the church announced Monday night. He was 74.

Hubbard, who was last seen in public in 1980, died Friday of a stroke at
his ranch near San Luis Obispo, 150 miles northwest of downtown Los
Angeles, said the Rev. Heber Jentzch, president of the Church of
Scientology International.

Hubbard did not control the church and its corporations for the past few
years, said Jentzch.

Hubbard's ashes were scattered at sea, said Earle Cooley, the church's
chief counsel.

Hubbard left most of his estate to Scientology, Cooley said.

"L. Ron Hubbard, after making very generous provision for his surviving
wife and certain of his children, has left the entire balance of his
estate, which is very substantial, to Scientology," Cooley said.

Hubbard and his third and surviving wife, Mary Sue Hubbard, founded the
church in 1954. He laid out the Scientology doctrine in "Dianetics: The
Modern Science of Mental Health," a book that has sold millions of
copies.

The wealthy church has battled the Internal Revenue Service and has
fought suits filed by former members. The church has claimed up to 6
million members worldwide since the height of the movement in the
1970's. Defectors, however, have put the number at closer to 2 million.
*** End of article***

Well, I think THIS gives lots of food for speculation. He died and was
cremated and the ashes scattered, hmmmm... Well, those that have claimed
tht he has been dead for some time can use THAT as start for discussion!
Also, he left bequests to "CERTAIN of his children". Again, sounds like
the makings of a fairly bitter internecine quarrel...

Regards, Will

wmartin@BRL.ARPA@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/01/86)

From: Will Martin <wmartin@BRL.ARPA>

From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Tuesday, 26 Jan. '86:

[...]

roy@umnstat.UUCP (Roy St.Laurent) (02/03/86)

 Will Martin writes

> From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Tuesday, 26 Jan. '86:
>
> Los Angeles (AP) -- L. Ron Hubbard, the science fiction writer who
> founded the controversial Church of Scientology three decades ago, has
> died, the church announced Monday night. He was 74.
>                 :
>                 :
> *** End of article***
>
> Well, I think THIS gives lots of food for speculation. He died and was
> cremated and the ashes scattered, hmmmm... Well, those that have claimed
> tht he has been dead for some time can use THAT as start for discussion!
> Also, he left bequests to "CERTAIN of his children". Again, sounds like
> the makings of a fairly bitter internecine quarrel...

A friend of mine from L.A. said that he heard on a local radio station that
a coroner examined the body and took fingerprints (!!) in order to be sure
that it was indeed Hubbard.  Anyone have more information on this?

--Roy St.Laurent ...ihnp4!umn-cs!umnstat!roy