[net.sf-lovers] Piers Anthony/Xanth

clapper@nadc@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/03/86)

From: clapper@NADC

> The quality of Xanth books has steadily been declining.  Anthony
> gives partial credit to his fans and his new word processor for this
> one, and I have to say that it shows those two as faults.

I find it amusing that Anthony now uses a word processor.  In the
author's notes at the back of "On A Pale Horse"  (the strangest
author's notes I've ever read, by the way), he mentions his disdain for
technology, preferring to write in a shed using an old typewriter.
Something gave me the impression that he used a bare incandescent bulb
for lighting, but it's been a long time since I've read that book, and
I could be wrong.  I remember thinking, "What a strange attitude for a
supposed science fiction writer to have..."

I agree with the Xanth assessment, by the way.  After "Dragon On
A Pedestal", I decided I couldn't stomach any more - a pity, since
I liked the first few Xanth books.

Brian Clapper
clapper@NADC.ARPA