[net.music.gdead] Funk and Wagnalls

nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) (04/11/85)

     From "Funk and Wagnalls New Practical Standard Dictionary of the
English Language, Britanica World Language Edition" Vol. 1,1955:

GRATEFUL DEAD The motif of a cycle of folk tales which begin with the
hero's coming opon a group of people ill-treating or refusing to bury
the corpse of a man who had died without paying his debts.  He gives his
last penny, either to pay the mans debts or to give him a decent burial.
Within a few hours he meets with a travelling companion who aids him in
some impossible tack, gets him a fortune, saves his life, etc.  The
story ends with the companion disclosing himself as the man whose corpse
the other had befriended.

GRATIFICATION noun 1The act of gratifying; a satisfying or pleasing ...

     As seen by a group of wierdos who called themselves the Worlocks in
1965.

morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse) (04/15/85)

>      From "Funk and Wagnalls New Practical Standard Dictionary of the
> English Language, Britanica World Language Edition" Vol. 1,1955:
>

> GRATEFUL DEAD The motif of a cycle of folk tales which begin with the

I had always heard that the aforementioned reference to the Grateful Dead
was found by Jerry in a book of Bartlett's quotations.  Any arguments
there?
--

Terry Morse

UUCP:     { (ucbvax!dual!sun!) | (ihnp4!qubix!) } sunncal!leadsv!morse

nm52@sdcc12.UUCP (Alec MacCall) (04/19/85)

In article <411@leadsv.UUCP>, morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse) writes:

> >      From "Funk and Wagnalls New Practical Standard Dictionary of the
> > English Language, Britanica World Language Edition" Vol. 1,1955:
> >

> > GRATEFUL DEAD The motif of a cycle of folk tales which begin with the
>
> I had always heard that the aforementioned reference to the Grateful Dead
> was found by Jerry in a book of Bartlett's quotations.  Any arguments
> there?
> --

     The quote I copied came directly from the Book of the
Deadheads.  I really dont know anything about it besides that.  The
Book of the Deadheads indicates that Funk and Wagnalls is the source
of the name Grateful Dead.

                        - Andy Bindman

phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) (05/06/85)

> > >      From "Funk and Wagnalls New Practical Standard Dictionary of the
> > > English Language, Britanica World Language Edition" Vol. 1,1955:
> > >
> > > GRATEFUL DEAD The motif of a cycle of folk tales which begin with the
> >
> > I had always heard that the aforementioned reference to the Grateful Dead
> > was found by Jerry in a book of Bartlett's quotations.  Any arguments
> > there?
>
>      The quote I copied came directly from the Book of the
> Deadheads.  I really dont know anything about it besides that.  The
> Book of the Deadheads indicates that Funk and Wagnalls is the source
> of the name Grateful Dead.
>
>                         - Andy Bindman

Okay, for what it's worth:  the new book 'PLAYING IN THE BAND' (St. Mar-
tin's Press, copyright 1985 by David Gans) (thanks, Jody) says:

	Garcia:  We were standing around in utter desperation at Phil's
	    house in Palo Alto.  There was a huge dictionary, big mono-
	    lithic thing, and I just opened it up.  There in huge black
	    letters was "The Grateful Dead."  It . . . just cancelled
	    my mind out.

The reprinted interview doesn't mention what dictionary it was, but
then I've only just started getting into the book (and I have to give
it back to Jody so soon, sigh).  If I come across anything else I'll
put it in as a followup to this.

Phil Kos