[net.music.gdead] Dead Lyrics

jackson@curium.DEC (Seth Jackson) (05/10/85)

>Does anybody know the lyrics to Big River?

I've listened to that song hundreds of times, different versions,
and the same line elude me consistently. Finally, I found the words
in a Johnny Cash music book. Unfortunately, I've forgotten them,
but, at least I can assure you that they *are* in print somewhere!

There are lots of Dead songs that I've listened to over and over and
still can't get the words to. For example, in "Day Job", what's the
line after "Never underrate that paycheck power" ?? There are lots of
words I can't figure out in "Touch of Gray". What comes after
"It's a lesson to me"? (There should be 2 answers to this, as the
line is sung twice, but the following line is different). Also,
what's are the words to the verse that rhymes kerosene, seventeen,
and obscene?

There are lots lines in lots of other Dead songs I can't get. I'm
sure that many of you have the same experiences. There are also
lines of songs that I was sure I'd figured out, only to find out
I was wrong, sometimes years later.

What lines from Dead songs can't YOU figure out? I'll bet we'd all
be surprised by the number of different versions we all come up with.
__

"We used to play for silver, now we play for life..."

				Seth Jackson
				dec-curium!jackson

lkk@mit-eddie.UUCP (Larry Kolodney) (05/12/85)

Subject: dead lyrics
Newsgroups: net.music.dead

I have a humongous file containing virtually all lyrics
to pre-1980 songs.  Is there sufficient interest for me
to post it?

--
larry kolodney (The Devil's Advocate)

UUCP: ...{ihnp4, decvax!genrad}!mit-eddie!lkk

ARPA: lkk@mit-mc

jackson@curium.DEC (Seth Jackson) (05/14/85)

1) The line to "Fennario" is:

Come steppin' down the stair combin' back your yellow hair
Bid a last farewell to your William-o

As for the quiz, I was able to get 2 of the 5 right off the top of
my head:

2) A knife in the back - "He's Gone"

3) catch colt - "Cassidy"

Try these:

1) Maybe get my supper, eat it down by the sea

2) I got a friend somewhere

3) Hangin' 'round a steel mill

4) No signs or dividing lines

5) Deep, dark face of the sea

cliff@unmvax.UUCP (05/14/85)

> I have a humongous file containing virtually all lyrics
> to pre-1980 songs.  Is there sufficient interest for me
> to post it?

What is the legality of posting it?  Doesn't it violate copywrite laws?
BTW, if it is the list that I think it is, it is out of date, I may be
able to get my hands on the most current version... (includes Day Job,
West LA and other unreleased lyrics)

				--Cliff

john@fritz.UUCP (John Gilbert) (05/15/85)

Well, by god, this has fairly driven me mad!!  What ARE the lyrics after

   It's a lesson to me ...

In touch of gray??  SOMEBODY HELP!!!!

Now, I have a guess at the ... keroseen... verse (albeit not complete):

   ????     keroseen
   He can read at seventeen
   The words he knows are all obscene
   But, it's alright

As for Day Job, I also have a guess ...

   Steady boy starting that eight day hour
   Never underrate that paycheck power
   Now that you know that the face on your dollar
   Got a thumb to his nose and a hand on your collar
   Which is to say, hey, hey, hey.

Part of the problem here is that, especially with Garcia, the order of the
lines to the newer songs get switched around a lot.  For instance, the above
sometimes starts:

   Never underrate that paycheck power
   Steady boy starting that eight day hour

Day Job and Touch of Gray are notorious for this.

Anyone else have better suggestions for these?  Lets hear it!

John Gilbert

"Better keep it on ice while you're linin' up your long shot!"

bux@dual.UUCP (Dave Buxbaum) (05/17/85)

> Subject: dead lyrics
> Newsgroups: net.music.dead
>
> I have a humongous file containing virtually all lyrics
> to pre-1980 songs.  Is there sufficient interest for me
> to post it?

Wait, I have a vision - a rancid fishwich on an enriched bun, a can
of asparagus and some live ammo.  Don't forget the Dead lyrics!

So this is what it feels like to be a Pin Head! Yow, are we having
fun yet?

Zippy

lacy@allegra.UUCP (Jack Lacy) (05/22/85)

the difficult lines in Touch of Gray:

	It's a lesson to me,
	The Ables, Bakers, and Cs,
	the ABCs we all think of,
	and try to win a little love.

	It's a lesson to me,
	The Deltas, Easts, and Freeze,
	The ABCs we all must face,
	And try to save a little grace.

a friend got these from the gd...Garcia apparently changes these around
a bit...but these seem to be the ones most used.

	"We will survive!"

Jack Lacy