[net.sf-lovers] Blue Adept

bratman (06/14/82)

	Just a word about "Blue Adept" by Piers Anthony. This book just
came out in paperback, and it's terrific. The book is a sequel to an
earlier one called "Split Infinity".
	Without giving anything away, the story concerns the adventures
of Stile, a serf on the planet Proton, whose main ambition is to attain
the status of Citizen through a world-wide tournament known as the Game.
	The fun begins when he finds that Proton has a parallel counterpart
named Phaze, which one can travel to simply by finding one of many
entrances on the planet's surface.What possibilities when Stile discovers
that as evolved as Proton is with scientific technology, Phaze is
with magic.
	Anyone who enjoys duel sub-plots, and especially anyone who,
like me, knows that Unicorns DO exist, will love these two books.
	The only miserable part in "Blue Adept" was finding the number
of pages in my right hand dwindling to nothing, while realizing that
there wasn't enough time for Anthony to tie up all the loose ends.
Yes, obviously there is to be a third book, and it's excruciating
to find out at the end of what you thought was a concluding sequel.
	In any event, most who subscribe to sf-lovers will be
intrigued by Anthony's blend of pure S.F. and pure Fantasy into
one book.

					Steve Bratman

thomas (06/15/82)

Well, Anthony has commented that he doesn't count so well, and even series
which start out to be trilogies end up 4 or 5 books long.
=Spencer

jtg (06/15/82)

There is a third book in the Proton/Phaze series.  This book does conclude
the current story line, and is called JUXTAPOSITION.  Currently, it is
available in hardback only, and i will not say anything of the plot except
that this book is (believe it or not) better than either Split Infinity or
Blue Adept.  I highly recommend this series.  If you enjoyed his XANTH
series, you will love this series.

ARPAVAX:kalash (06/16/82)

	Gad, am I the ONLY person who thought that both the Phaze and
Xanth books read like first drafts? His constant preachiness ("and then
he realized that X persons were just as good as everybody else..."), and
tendency to pull plot developments out of thin air (the book in "Juxtaposition"
was TOTALY unconvincing) really made it second class writing.

			Joe Kalash
			...!ucbvax!kalash
			kalash@berkeley

sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) (02/04/86)

In article <900@cybvax0.UUCP>, mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:

> Anthony threatens further sequels; also further Blue Adept books.
>
> Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

  What other Blue Adept books? Are there more than 3 books in this series
at present? This series is the only Piers Anthony I remember reading and
would like to find more stories on this level and theme (i.e. a mixture of
science fiction and fantasy, as oppsoed to just fantasy)

  Also, does anybody know of any other books by Dean Ing? I've got his
first post-halocaust book (I can't rember the title right now) I've heard
there have been sequels, but I haven't seen them in the books stores.

  And one last request. I have a book titled "Nightmare Express" by
an author whose name I have a hard time pronouncing and an even harder
time remembering. I enjoyed this book many times, and have had to read
it many times to completely understand the ending (to make sure I caught
all the relevent and subtle details that built up to the ending.) What
I would like to know is if there are any other books by this author? I 've
never manged to find any at the book stores.

						Thanks,
						Scott A. Stewart
						LMSC - Sunnyvale