[net.music.gdead] Friday Greek Playlist

mayfield@ucbvax.ARPA (Jim Mayfield) (06/15/85)

Here's Friday's playlist:

Friday, June 14, 1985  Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA

dancing in the streets
west l.a. fade away
c.c. rider
peggy-o
hell in a bucket
<break to fix sound system>
keep on rolling (or something like that -- purportedly an old derek and the
		 dominoes tune)
stagger lee
let it grow
deal

-- o -- o --

morning dew
playing in the band
china doll
brent & drums
drums
space
truckin'
smokestack lightning
comes a time
sugar magnolia

-- o -- o --

keep your day job

Altogether, an excellent show, and one that bodes well for the rest of
the weekend.  As the band came out, the P.A. played Sgt. Pepper's (It was
twenty years ago today...) inducing a mild uproar in the crowd.  They
seemed psyched for the occasion, as evidenced by at least two waves
from Jerry and some extended playfulness between the drummers.  At the
end of hell in a bucket, there was a ten minute pause to fix the sound
system.  This effectively converted the show to three sets, a trend which
was generally approved of.

At the start of the second first set, Phil and Brent sang the as-yet-not-
officially-identified tune mentioned above; can anyone help out?

The second set opened with a tremendous Dew, whose soft passages were so
clear and evocative that I would have gone home satisfied had the show ended
immediately afterwards.  During the drums, they brought out a couple of
effects that I hadn't seen before.  One was an orb which seemed to contain
a green light which was concentrated in the center, and which sent out
tentacles of light to the surface roughly in time with the drums (and
which would probably not use a run-on sentence if it were describing
itself).  The other was a high-tech version of the old rotating silver
ball at the top of the dance hall; this one sent out narrow green beams
of light around the stage and onto the crowd.

The encore was a brief but vivacious day job.  Berkeley has an ordinance
which prevents such festivities from extending beyond 11:00 p.m., hence
the `brief.' (If you ever thought that the '84 Greek dark star ends
abruptly, there's the reason.)  The `vivacious' was internally motivated.

						- Jim Mayfield

jjm@inmet.UUCP (06/17/85)

  jim -

   the effect or ORB of which you speak is a Plasma Light Sculpture (sp?)

   it was 'invented'/'created' by Bill Parker.  Mr. Parker is a graduate

    MIT in 1975.  He spent the past 10 years developing this idea.  It is

    by **FAR** the most intence thing I have **EVER** seen !!!

      The boys had one in portland and TWO in providence in the spring --

      much to my frinds and my superise.  You see in boston there are two

      places to check out these orbs ...

	 The compton gallery at MIT -=- they have about a dozen including

	 tubular ones and spheres that are three times the size f the ones

	 the dead has !!

	 also at ...

	 Gallery on the Square -- at copley place -- accross from the BPL

	 on Boylston St.

	 They sell them.

	 The ones the dead have run for == get this $3,000 each ! hefty but..

	 If you ever get a chance to check these things out ****DO SO****

	 OH,

	      I didn't mention...

	       These things are spheres of glass filled with some combination

	       of inert gasses that if electronicly charged create the forth

	       state of matter -- plasma!!  (Similar to lightning) AND

	       when one touches the ball a ground is made and the plasma

	       ATTRACTS to your hands, etc.. !!!!!!!

	       SO UNBELIEVEABLE .. I could ramble for hours (NO shit.)

	       anyway Check them out if you get the chance.

	      See y'all at SPAC ---> on (YAHOOOOOOOOOWEEE) ..

	      I'm still recovering from NOT being at the Greeks :-(

	      'one way or another, this darkness has got to give'

	      pasta fazool

	      josepi

	      me right on down,  mau.

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) (06/18/85)

> Here's Friday's playlist:
>
> Friday, June 14, 1985  Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA
>
> dancing in the streets
> west l.a. fade away
> c.c. rider
> peggy-o
> hell in a bucket
> <break to fix sound system>
> keep on rolling (or something like that -- purportedly an old derek and the
> 		 dominoes tune)
> stagger lee
> let it grow
> deal

That's Keep on Growing, a fine tune.

zben@umd5.UUCP (06/19/85)

In article <8196@ucbvax.ARPA> mayfield@ucbvax.ARPA writes:

>keep on rolling (or something like that -- purportedly an old derek and the
>		 dominoes tune)

As all should know, Derek and the Dominoes was one of Eric Clapton's many
bands.  The song was "Keep on Growing", and was on several albums, including
(I believe) the "Best of Eric Clapton" triple album.

Berkeley was a hot show, and well worth the D.C. <=> Berkeley airfare and
hotel and rental car expenses.  California is really nice too, even though
level 15 sunscreen is de rigeur for us fair-hairs!  Thanks to Wendy and Andy
and all the good people I met out there...
--
Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben@umd2.ARPA