[net.music.gdead] "AND NOT VICE VERSA"

jlowrey@ssc-vax.UUCP (J L Owrey) (06/19/85)

From postnews Tue Jun 18 13:31:19 1985
Subject: Re: Good and bad music
Newsgroups: net.music

> >Okay, here's another analogy.  Think of the attitudes of various people
> >toward the concept of "love".
> >most anyone who has been in the third stage has probably been in the previous
> >two as well, but NOT THE VICE VERSA.
> >-larry kolodney
>
> People who desire intellectual challenge or soulfulness or whatever
> will gravitate towards music with those characteristics.
>
> Face it. You are never going to prove that top 40 or any kind of
> music is bad. All you can ever prove is that *you* don't like it.

And I thought you were a Deadicated gdead fan, seth...

Now the "NOT THE VICE VERSA" is an interesting point. The indication that
people are moving around the "wheel of life" is the passage through various
phases or rites (eg., their current totemic animal on the Medicine Wheel)
without fixation on any one phase or rite.  This continual motion represents
evolution, growth and/or development.  A question may then be asked as to
whether the gdead has become a fixation (an LSD imprint, as Timothy Leary
would have said) for many fans.  However many feel that it is the very lack
of fixation on any particular music form that makes the dead so popular with
their audiences.  The gdead are continually evolving their music - contiually
exploring, eg., the continual introduction of new percussion forms by the two
drummers.

Another interesting point is not just the possibility of "NOT THE VICE VERSA"
but of "either/or and both."  I, myself, have found myself moving back and
forth between the gdead and the moodies for some time now (even though I have
seen the moodies only twice in concert, and the dead many times).  In fact,
in times of great solitude (alone on a high mountian or deep in the wilderness)
I have had moody blues lyrics come to mind far more often than gdead lyrics.
So at least in this instance it appears to be a case of not just "NOT THE VICE
VERSA" but "EITHER/OR AND BOTH."

					  yours truly,
					  (not to be on the net
					  for three months LOA)