[net.music.gdead] Comes a Time

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (06/19/85)

In my long article about the Greek shows, I asked about a song, "Comes a
Time".  A D'Head from New Jersey (whose name I've forgotten already--
sorry 'bout that!) called to fill me in.  The song comes from Garcia's solo
album "Reflections" (circa '76).  Now I'm curious to know if the Dead have
ever played it before.

I also neglected to mention "Walkin' Blues" from the Sunday show as yet
another of the really hot songs brought out of the past for the anniversary
shows.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...I'm not cynical - just experienced.

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (06/19/85)

> In my long article about the Greek shows, I asked about a song, "Comes a
> Time".  A D'Head from New Jersey (whose name I've forgotten already--
> sorry 'bout that!) called to fill me in.  The song comes from Garcia's solo
> album "Reflections" (circa '76).  Now I'm curious to know if the Dead have
> ever played it before.

  Well, your friend in Jersey remembers too. And yes, the Dead have played it
before. At one time I had a tape (since lost) of the Dead playing it at Felt
Form (exact time of show and location of Felt Forum forgotten). I lost the tape
when my backpack was ripped off once. Too bad, because it was a good tape. It
also had a version of the Dead playing "Wash My Hands (In Muddy Waters)".
Anyone know the origin of the latter song, or know what show I'm talking about?

"I Guess I'll wash my hands in a muddy stream"

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

jws@dartvax.UUCP (John W. Scott) (06/20/85)

The Dead have played "Comes A Time" some 34 times since they first played it
live in 1971.  The statistics I have are:   '71  8, '72  6, '76  6, '77  5,
'78  1, '79  1, '80  7 (acoustic).  There are several wonderful versions
where Jerry's voice holds out well, especially in 71-72.

--John

jjm@inmet.UUCP (06/20/85)

      The last time i can think of that the dead played

      "Comes a Time" is in May of 1980 in Hartford.  (At least on the

      right coast (~);=}.   I know thy also used to play it alittle in the

      late 70's but the dates have slipped me.

      I do believe "She belongs to me" is the correct name of the tune

      jerry has been so wonderfully singing.  The other "New" Dylan tune

      that Phil has sung is "Just like Tom Thumbs' blues" (I think .. help?)

       Thanks to all for the reviews of th Greeks, (even though i become

       temporarily usless when i read what was played!).  I look forward

       to seeing some 'reviews' of the Alpine shows.  (Strike two).

	  But....

	  I will not need to read reviews from spac -->> Merryweather P.P.

		 (~);=} .... yes that is a large smile on my face !!!

		 If you read this net and see shows == mention it

		 ya never know who ya might run into .....

		 'I don't know but i've been told it's hard to run with the

		  weight of gold, on the hand, i've heard it said:

		  'it's just as hard with the weight of lead.....''

		  pasta fazool

		  josepi   --> yo-sep-ee   (pronounse me right down, mau)

		  keep a cone on your nose

lsmith@h-sc1.UUCP (Liz Smith) (06/20/85)

> In my long article about the Greek shows, I asked about a song, "Comes a
> Time".  A D'Head from New Jersey (whose name I've forgotten already--
> sorry 'bout that!) called to fill me in.  The song comes from Garcia's solo
> album "Reflections" (circa '76).  Now I'm curious to know if the Dead have
> ever played it before.
> --
> Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086

I have a tape with "Comes a Time" on it - from a Jerry Garcia concert at
Roseland, 6/1/83.

Liz Smith

mayfield@ucbvax.ARPA (Jim Mayfield) (06/21/85)

In article <1602@hao.UUCP>, woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:

>   Well, your friend in Jersey remembers too. And yes, the Dead have played it
> before. At one time I had a tape (since lost) of the Dead playing it at Felt
> Form (exact time of show and location of Felt Forum forgotten). I lost the
> tape when my backpack was ripped off once. Too bad, because it was a good
> tape. It also had a version of the Dead playing "Wash My Hands (In Muddy
> Waters)". Anyone know the origin of the latter song, or know what show I'm
> talking about?

The dead played four shows at the felt forum in '71 (Dec. 4-7).  The show
you mention was 12-5-71.  Although I haven't heard it, the second set
had a wild combo: dark star -> me & my uncle -> dark star -> sitting on
top of the world.  Anyone heard this particular piece of lunacy?
						- Jim