[net.music.gdead] One thing to try

mayfield@ucbvax.ARPA (Jim Mayfield) (06/22/85)

So here's a topic for conversation.  What's the most bizarre misinterpretation
of lyrics you ever made?  It seems like at every show, I discover that some
verse is sung by the dead differently from how I sing it to myself.  Here
are my favorites:

	In "at a siding," in place of "for good or ill again" I would
	sing "for good old him again."

	"Beat it on down the line" used to start for me: "Well, it's
	John.  My God!"

	"Sunrise"'s "He hums, there are drums" was always "He harms
	their underarms."

And best of all:

	The song Pigpen used to sing on bones and roses, "Big ball of string."
	(You know, "Big ball of string, can't you hear me when I call...").
	I say used to because these days he's singing a horse of a different
	color on that album.

I noticed a few of these in the list of lyrics that was posted to the net
a few months back.  Here are two:

	Althea's "You may be a clown in the burying ground" was
	listed as "You may be a cloud in the varying crowd."

	In bertha, instead of "ducked into a bar door," it was
	"ducked into Novato."

So swallow your pride and tell everybody about your own leonardo words.

						- jim (mayfield@berkeley)

cs1@oddjob.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) (06/23/85)

Misinterpretation of song lyrics

well...not really misinterpretation, but deliberate misconbobulation
of song lyrics by a wandering band of field geologists---

in "Wharf Rat",  "true to me"  became "tritymide"--a high-pressure phase
                                                   of Quartz

We made much worse fun of the Rolling Stones though..

For instance, a verse of "Shattered" went something like this:

               Chert on the west side,
               Sandstone upsection--
               Glacial erratics scattered all over

                                 The outcrop

                  (does it matter..)

--

"...a lot of people don't have much food on the table,

    but they got a lot of forks
                                  and knives,

                    and they gotta cut something."  --Bob Dylan

lkk@teddy.UUCP (06/24/85)

How about: "Don't you let that FEEL go down."

Sounded like a reasonable interpretation
when I first heard it.

--

Sport Death,
Larry Kolodney

ph28kc@sdcc12.UUCP (ph28kc) (06/24/85)

In article <8402@ucbvax.ARPA>, mayfield@ucbvax.ARPA (Jim Mayfield) writes:
> So here's a topic for conversation.  What's the most bizarre misinterpretation
> of lyrics you ever made?  It seems like at every show, I discover that some
> verse is sung by the dead differently from how I sing it to myself.
>
> So swallow your pride and tell everybody about your own leonardo words.
>
> 						- jim (mayfield@berkeley)

	We have a couple of fun/funny substitute lyrics the best of
which is "Big ball of Spam" for "Big boss man"; say it through a
couple of times and you'l be stuck with it for life. The problem
with these things is that onec you've got them into your head, they
won't go away. "Mighty swell" is another such.

 						Ken Cluff

       {decvax|dcdwest|ihnp4|ucbvax}!sdcsvax!sdcc3!sdcc12!ph28kc

jws@dartvax.UUCP (John W. Scott) (07/01/85)

As far as misinterpretation of lyrics is concerned, my personal favorite
is a friend's conviction that the line from Samson & Delilah is:
"And the beast made honey in Delilah's bed."  Kind of interesting imagery,
but not what I would expect from Rev. Gary Davis...