[net.music.gdead] And what would be the answer to...

roy@WAIKATO.SCRC.Symbolics.COM (07/01/85)

From:  Roy Harkow <roy@WAIKATO.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

	So much Dead flaming this morning; I'll just send a lot of
replies in 1 mail message.
	Josepi: You're right: Smokestack was 9/9 in Worcester.  The two
Dylan songs are indeed called "She Belongs to Me" (from Bringing it All
Back Home, I believe) and "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" (from Highway
61).  I don't believe that either version is "wonderful"; in fact, the
former is a typical Jerry-show "take a leak and buy a beer between
notes" number, and I feel that fans are gonna get sick of it as soon as
the novelty wears off.  As for Tom Thumb's, I know all the words and
STILL have trouble understanding what Phil's singing!

	Friends often discuss the subject of what makes a hot show. I
did most of this spring's East tour and I met a guy in Philly who
agreed with me about every show we'd ever seen, with the exception that
he loved Portland this tour & I and most my friends thought they were
the 2 weak shows!  What's weirder is that many times the people sitting
around you will have totally differing opinions immediately after the
show!  I think it's integrally connected to the type and amount of drugs
you've done!  Have you ever had a good trip and heard a less than
wonderful show???

	Jeff Haferman: Lots of discussion about song names. For example,
is "Sunshine Daydream" an actual separate song?  And you might have been
privy to the recent "Cryptical Envelopement" brouhaha.  Well, I can
understand the mistake of calling "I used to Love Her" -> "She used to
Love Me",  but how the hell-in-a-bucket did you EVER come up with
"Stumble and Fall"?????????

wimp@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Haferman) (07/05/85)

> 	Jeff Haferman: Lots of discussion about song names. For example,
> is "Sunshine Daydream" an actual separate song?  And you might have been
> privy to the recent "Cryptical Envelopement" brouhaha.  Well, I can
> understand the mistake of calling "I used to Love Her" -> "She used to
> Love Me",  but how the hell-in-a-bucket did you EVER come up with
> "Stumble and Fall"?????????

   Somebody has already answered the first question:

> I don't think its a separate song (title?), its just that they don't always
> finish with it from Sugar Magnolia ....sooooo ya need a way to mark your
> tape boxes so you know they remembered to finish it that night.

   And yes, I have heard the "Cryptical Envelopment"/"The Other One"
   stuff ten times over.  I will always call this song "The Other
   One" even though it has been copyrighted under the name "Cryptical
   Envelopment."   The Dead call it "The Other One" on their Skullfuck
   album  (which you can call 'Skull and Roses' or 'Grateful Dead Live
   2 l.p. Set' if you wish).

   As for 'Stumble and Fall,'  that's what I always call it just because
   that's what I was told its name was when I first heard it.  There is
   a portion of the song that contains the words 'stumble and fall.'
   I even mark it that way on cassettes.  Does a studio version of this
   one exist anywhere?  If so, what is it called on the album?

   Anyway, there are a lot of Dead songs that go by several names.  Another
   common one is 'Peggy-O,' the real name (or so I've been told) is
   'Fennario.'

   As long as we understand each other when we refer to songs,  I think we
   can allow for these differences in titles.

   Jeff

  "What Shall We Say, Shall We Call It By a Name?"

     --from 'Weather Report Suite, part II'
       (otherwise known as 'Let It Grow')