[net.music.gdead] Bluegrass Dead query

JPBion@SU-SUSHI.ARPA (08/09/85)

From:  Joel P. Bion <JPBion@SU-SUSHI.ARPA>

I've just experienced the pleasure of buying/listening to three times in
a row the "Old and in the Way" album. (which was just recently reissued).
Does anyone know of any other recordings/tapes of members of the Dead
playing in this bluegrass/folk style. Tapes of concerts where they
"emphasized" these roots in their music would also be of interest. Yes,
many of their songs show the influence of bluegrass/old folk songs (i.e.,
I Know You Rider); I am looking for recordings like Old and in the Way which
were more explicit, whether the entire band or just a part of it performed.

Thanks for any help,
		Joel
-------

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) (08/12/85)

> I've just experienced the pleasure of buying/listening to three times in
> a row the "Old and in the Way" album. (which was just recently reissued).
> Does anyone know of any other recordings/tapes of members of the Dead
> playing in this bluegrass/folk style.
>
> 		Joel

I'd like to heartily second Joel's approval of ``Old and In the Way''.
Fine bluegrass, together with our favorite guitarist doing a little banjo
picking.  Vassar Clements, probably the finest fiddler alive today, is also
on this album.

Jerry's grasp of bluegrass also shows on CS&N's ``Teach Your Children'',
for which Jerry plays pedal steel.

jeff m

spp@ucbvax.ARPA (Stephen P Pope) (08/12/85)

    There are a few Old and in the Way tapes in circulation,
the best of which (recording quality wise) is from Cal State
Sonoma in Cotati -- can't remember the date offhand.
Not all the OAITW shows had Jerry and/or Vassar included, though.
    As for "Bluegrass Dead", best study material from 1970 to
find those somewhat rare instances when the Dead themselves
got into some bluegrass...

    -steve pope (..ucbvax!spp)

dsl@lzwi.UUCP (D.S.LERNER) (08/13/85)

 Joel, there have been many tapes that the Dead played bluegrass
 or country music on. Luckily, I have a few of them in my
 possession. One of them is an OLD AND IN THE WAY tape from
 Sonoma State College, CA. 1973. The tape includes the songs
 from the album as well as other country tunes. The quality of
 the recording is good but a little bassy. I too like country
 Dead. Jerry on banjo or pedal steel is the best.

 Side A:    Going to the Races           Catfish John
	    Eating out of your hand      Lonesome Fiddle Blues
	    Land of the Navajo           Jerry's Breakdown
	    Panama Red                   Pig in a Pen
	    Hobo Song                    Wild Horses

Side B:     White Dove                   Lonesome L. A. Cowboy
	    Drifting too Far From Shore  Inside the Pearly Gates
	    Knockin on Your Door         Uncle Pen
	    High Lonesome                Just a Tramp on the Street
	    Waiting for a Train          Midnight Moonlight
	    Orange Blossumm Special

Also, I have a New Riders tape from the Fillmore 4/28/71 that
has Jerry on pedal steel which is a soundboard tape. They
do a lot of NRPS songs from their first album. Some of the
highlights include - I Don't Know You; Down in the Boondocks;
Garden of Eden; Connection; Henry; The Weight; Last Lonely
Eagle; Louisiana Lady; Fun, Fun, Fun; and Honky Tonk Women.
Another tape is a NRPS & Dead concert from 1974. Some of the
songs include - Swing Low, Sweet Chariot; Henry; Glendale Train;
The Race is On; Truck Driving Man; Take a Letter Maria; and
Cold Jordan.  They are both of very good quality.

In addition, I have a Wildwood Boys tape from August 1963
with Dave Nelson and Garcia where the do 3 or 4 country
tunes. Also, a 1967 radio show of Garcia on pedal steel, Weir,
and Chippolina where they play two country tunes such as
"Pins and needles". Also, a Jerry and Sarah Garcia duet with
Jerry on banjo from Palo Alto, CA April 1963. It contains
10 minutes of country tunes.

I'm sure there are many others out there but that is all I have.
Bluegrass and country Dead are some of the finest music around.
I wish Jerry pulled out the banjo or pedal steel these days.
But, the chance of that happening is unfortunately remote.

"Forgetting everything I know, til the next line comes along"

					   Dave