[net.music.gdead] Sound-alike songs

lkk@teddy.UUCP (07/31/85)

Here's a naive question:

There are a number of Dead songs which in my mind sound
VERY similar.  such as:

IKO IKO - Women Are Smarter

and

I Know You Rider - Morning Dew.

Are these the same songs, with different lyrics,
or are they just similar?

Also, are there any others like this?

--

Sport Death,
Larry Kolodney

zben@umd5.UUCP (08/01/85)

In article <1063@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP writes:
>There are a number of Dead songs which in my mind sound
>VERY similar.  such as:
>IKO IKO - Women Are Smarter
>and
>I Know You Rider - Morning Dew.
>Are these the same songs, with different lyrics,
>or are they just similar?

I don't claim to be a killer musician, but I was in a Dead sound-alike
band back in '74-'75.  The songs you mention are just similar enough to
kill you if you don't watch out.  There are subtle rhythm differances,
and just where you change chords differs.

Aiko Aiko and Women Are Smarter are both one-part two-chord songs, with
the basic pattern ABBA.  Morning Dew has pattern AABB while Know You
Rider has pattern AAB - note the difference in the number of times you
play phrase B here.  Twice for Morning Dew: "Can't walk you out in the
morning dew my honey" is the first B, "Can't walk you out in the morning
dew today" is the second.  In Know You Rider the single B part is:
"Gonna miss your baby from rollin' in your arms".  The chords for part B
also differ.  Assume the key of D, then part A has chords D D C G D D D D.
In Know You Rider the single part B has F C F C D D D D, while Morning
Dew has two copies of F F C G D D D D.

Aiko Aiko and Women Are Smarter are MUCH more similar than Morning Dew
and Know You Rider...  Actually, split the notation so there are eight
letters to a part, and both AA and WAS have pattern: AAABBBBA.  Use the
A chord for part A and the E chord for part B and it's the chord pattern
too...

My neighbors are probably boiling the tar and plucking the feathers right
now for my playing my guitar enough to generate this information at five
o'clock in the morning...  :-)

--
Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben@umd2.ARPA

ejd@petrus.UUCP (Ed J. Donofrio) (08/02/85)

> There are a number of Dead songs which in my mind sound
> VERY similar.  such as:
>
> Also, are there any others like this?

Okay now I'm confused. Who was at Hershey Park?
I just got my issue of the Golden Road (I thoroughly enjoy when it arrives)
and I have a question about the set list that they posted.

There is a song that sounds identical to Minglewood Blues.
When I was at Hershey I knew alot of people thought it was, but I knew
differently. However some people outside told me the name of this tune
was "Ain't Superstitious". Now I really feel stupid for walking into
the Nassau Coliseum show late on 3/29/85, but I missed Ain't Superstitious.
When I asked what the first two songs were I was told that the second
one was a song called Ain't Superstitious that sounded alot like
Minglewood. My new issue of the Golden Road states that the song at
Hershey was called "Down in the Bottom", and that one sounded almost
identical to Minglewood with different words. Can someone clarify if
indeed both of these songs are similiar? This isn't a case of two names
for the same song is it? Help?

			--Ed Donofrio

ps interesting stuff on this net as of lately, keep it up!

wimp@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Haferman) (08/05/85)

> There is a song that sounds identical to Minglewood Blues.
> When I was at Hershey I knew alot of people thought it was, but I knew
> differently. However some people outside told me the name of this tune
> was "Ain't Superstitious". Now I really feel stupid for walking into
> the Nassau Coliseum show late on 3/29/85, but I missed Ain't Superstitious.
> When I asked what the first two songs were I was told that the second
> one was a song called Ain't Superstitious that sounded alot like
> Minglewood. My new issue of the Golden Road states that the song at
> Hershey was called "Down in the Bottom", and that one sounded almost
> identical to Minglewood with different words. Can someone clarify if
> indeed both of these songs are similiar? This isn't a case of two names
> for the same song is it? Help?

Well, this might clear it up some, but now I'm a bit confused also.

     I heard "Ain't Superstitious" for the first time at the 3/29 Nassau
show and thought it sounded very much like "Minglewood."  However, I was
at the 6/21 Alpine show and THOUGHT I heard "Ain't Superstitous" played as
the second song of the first set.  But the Golden Road has recorded this song
in their set lists as "Down in the Bottom."  Now, since I've never heard
"Down in the Bottom," I can't say whether they're right.  But I do know that
whatever tune was played at Alpine, the words "Ain't Superstitious" were part
of the lyrics.

    In the Winter '85 issue of The Golden Road (p. 33), we find some history
on both "Down in the Bottom" and "I Ain't Superstitious."  It seems that BOTH
tunes were written by Willie Dixon and originally recorded by Howlin' Wolf.
So it appears that they are distinct songs, but what similarities/differences
are there between the two?  Also, the description in The Golden Road contains
an interesting line:

           Wolf's "Down in the Bottom" doesn't quite echo "Minglewood"
           the way the Dead's lone version (11-3-84) did, but Weir and
           Co. did capture its spirit effectively.

So I guess the Dead do make it sound similar to "Minglewood".

Any clues?

Jeff Haferman

roy@WAIKATO.SCRC.Symbolics.COM (08/08/85)

From:  Roy Harkow <roy@WAIKATO.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

    Date: Sun, 4-Aug-85 14:29:40 PDT
    From: ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!wimp@UCB-Vax.ARPA (Jeff Haferman)

    > There is a song that sounds identical to Minglewood Blues.
    > When I was at Hershey I knew alot of people thought it was, but I knew
    > differently. However some people outside told me the name of this tune
    > was "Ain't Superstitious". Now I really feel stupid for walking into
    > the Nassau Coliseum show late on 3/29/85, but I missed Ain't Superstitious.
    > When I asked what the first two songs were I was told that the second
    > one was a song called Ain't Superstitious that sounded alot like
    > Minglewood. My new issue of the Golden Road states that the song at
    > Hershey was called "Down in the Bottom", and that one sounded almost
    > identical to Minglewood with different words. Can someone clarify if
    > indeed both of these songs are similiar? This isn't a case of two names
    > for the same song is it? Help?

    Well, this might clear it up some, but now I'm a bit confused also.

	 I heard "Ain't Superstitious" for the first time at the 3/29 Nassau
    show and thought it sounded very much like "Minglewood."  However, I was
    at the 6/21 Alpine show and THOUGHT I heard "Ain't Superstitous" played as
    the second song of the first set.  But the Golden Road has recorded this song
    in their set lists as "Down in the Bottom."  Now, since I've never heard
    "Down in the Bottom," I can't say whether they're right.  But I do know that
    whatever tune was played at Alpine, the words "Ain't Superstitious" were part
    of the lyrics.

	In the Winter '85 issue of The Golden Road (p. 33), we find some history
    on both "Down in the Bottom" and "I Ain't Superstitious."  It seems that BOTH
    tunes were written by Willie Dixon and originally recorded by Howlin' Wolf.
    So it appears that they are distinct songs, but what similarities/differences
    are there between the two?  Also, the description in The Golden Road contains
    an interesting line:

	       Wolf's "Down in the Bottom" doesn't quite echo "Minglewood"
	       the way the Dead's lone version (11-3-84) did, but Weir and
	       Co. did capture its spirit effectively.

    So I guess the Dead do make it sound similar to "Minglewood".

    Any clues?
    Jeff Haferman

Also, is there any difference between "Ain't Superstitious" and "Running
Shoes"?

lefko@leadsv.UUCP (Martin Lefkowitz) (08/19/85)

	Meet me at the Bottom (bring me my running shoes) and I Ain't

superstitous are two different songs.  Our dislexic hero Mr. Weir has weived
these two songs together at times into a confusing mess.  If your standing
right under him while he sings it I hope your wearing a hat of some sort
because he spews saliva out in the cubic feet per second range.  That is why
the pit crew calls it "The Backwash Bobby Blues, Meet me in the Bottle."