[net.sf-lovers] Star Trek

Denber.WBST@PARC-MAXC.ARPA@sri-unix.UUCP (07/14/83)

This message is empty.

ron@brl-bmd@sri-unix.UUCP (07/20/83)

From:      Ron Natalie <ron@brl-bmd>

Ah yes...Star Trek, The Motion Pictiure:
		Where Nomad has gone before.

Scott.Safier@CMU-CS-CAD@sri-unix.UUCP (07/25/83)

During our term last year, Gene Roddenberry spoke at Carnegie-Mellon.  To
say the least, star trek questions were numerous, and several of the issues
recently debated on this bboard were brought up.

1) Yes, Spock will be back in future movies, although no one at that time
had figured out how they were going to do it.

2) Star Trek is a many faceted organization which Gene Roddenberry has only
a small say in.  Such is what happened with the animated series.  Mr.
Roddenberry was not involved with this group, and felt that some of the
plots that were portrayed were stupid (such as using the transporter to make
people young again).  For this reason, we believe they will not use this
method to "bring spock back".

3) Some other interesting things:  Many episodes of Star Trek were
anti-(vietnam)-war in nature.  In Mr. Roddenberry's own words, "What the
network sensors were too stupid to see in our scripts, the public saw."

4) Gene Roddenberry is married to number 1 (from "The Managerie").  this
actress later became  Nurse Chapel.

That's all for now,
Scott Safier@cmu-cs-cad
Monica Cellio@cmu-cs-c

BALZAC%YKTVMZ.BITNET%Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (07/20/84)

From:  Stephen R. Balzac <BALZAC%YKTVMZ.BITNET@Berkeley>

For what its worth, here's my guess as to how STIV will solve the various
problems created in STIII:

Kirk et all leave Vulcan and return to Earth, where StarFleet plans to roast
them alive for stealing Enterprise, disobeyance of orders, etc, etc...
Unfortunately for StarFleet, the media has somehow gotten ahold of (a version)
of the incidents chronicled in STIII (as to how they manage this, don't ask
me.  If they could find out about Genesis, Khan, et all in the first place,
I'm sure they can find out the rest as well.  Maybe the Vulcans will let
it leak out), and is touting Kirk as Public Hero Number One, the man who
saved Genesis from the dastardly Klingon Empire.  Under the circumstances,
StarFleet finds itself under enormous political and media pressure (remember,
StarFleet is NOT the Federation Government.  It is only a branch thereof, and
has to get its funding somewhere.  Politicians are notoriously reluctant to
court-martial a Public Hero) to reward Kirk, not court-martial him.  The
solution they come up with is to send him off on some highly dangerous
mission, somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.  If he survives, well
then they can let bygones be bygones.  If he fails, then StarFleet has rid
itself of an embarrassment.  Naturally, Kirk and co. will get a new ship,
coincidently named Enterprise, to hop around in.

Leban%hp-hulk.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (05/23/85)

From: Bruce <Leban%hplabs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

> From: Mark Crispin <MRC@SU-SCORE.ARPA>

> . When the Klingons are cloaked and getting ready to attack the
>   Enterprise, its distance is reported as being 5000 kilograms(!!)

This is perfectly reasonable.  You simply use E=MC^2 to convert
kilograms to energy (= 1.5E11 kg m^2/sec^2) and then divide this into
the Gravitational constant, G (= 6.67 kg m^3/sec^2) to get 4.45E-11
meters.  Well, maybe that is a /bit/ unreasonable....

> . How, with Saavik on board, could Kirk have innocently buried
>   Spock in space without knowing any better?

There actually /is/ a good explanation here.  You see, Saavik is
actually half Vulcan and half Romulan and was not raised on Vulcan.  It
is quite possible that she wouldn't know anything about Vulcan
"afterlife".  [This information is based on info in one of the Star Trek
books, I can't remember which one.]
-------

thornton@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC468) (06/07/85)

	When I saw STAR TREK III I thought the distance was announced in
    kilokems, perhaps this bit would have been better done with subtitles.

	Certainly the Klingons are going in for more comfortable bridge designs.
    No longer does the bridge crew have to be good at 'pole clutching' (or was
    that the Romulans?). The captains no longer have to sit in the corner
    waiting for the rest of the bridge to be built.
	I hope that the Romulans are soon going to get a mention in the films
    because Klingons aren't the only hostile aliens in the  S.T. universe and
    when you've seen one Klingon, you've seen them all.

					Andy T.

	(.....SOME FORM OF HIGH ENERGY PLASMA...) Cmdr Hanson
						 (from BALANCE OF TERROR)

appatel@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC343) (06/26/85)

In article <268@dcl-cs.UUCP> david@dcl-cs.UUCP (David Coffield) writes:
>Someone recently noted that the replacement of Eagle landers on Space 1999 was
>not possible due to the fact that the base had very finite resources. He also
>noted that the Enterprise could easily pop in to a starbase for repairs. What
>puzzles me is that the 5 year mission of the Enterprise was "to boldy go .." etc
>and therefore there shouldn't be a starbase in sight if they were chartering
>unknown territory. Also, how come they knew the name of every planet they
>visited? Surely they wouldn't have had a name if no-one had been there before.

The 5 year mission refered to above is the length of the tour of duty of the
Enterprise.The Enterprise was assigned a quadrant to patrol and explore as not
all planets and star systems had been explored in Federation space.So when the
Enterprise was not on a StarFleet assigned mission (eg:"A Taste Of Armagedon",
"The Enterprise Incident","The Trouble With Tribbles") then its prime task was
to explore and chart star systems that had not been visted before.(Remember that
the galaxy has about 100,000 million stars, and if say federation space only
covers 10%, then thats about 10,000 million stars to be explored and charted).
Therefore even when in federation space they would be boldly chartering unknown
territory and still be near a starbase (I think there were about 20 of them).
	The reason that they knew the name of every planet that they came to was
that either the planet was a member of the federation or that the planet's name
was derived from the names of the star and the position of the planet from the
star,(Earth is SOL 3).If you look at a good star catalouge you will find that
there are a lot of stars in it with name that were mentioned in Star Trek.

("TO BE OR NOT TO BE..THAT IS ILLOGICAL CAPTAIN"...SPOCK).

Wahl.ES@Xerox.COM@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/05/86)

From: Wahl.ES@Xerox.COM

First of all, I'd like to correct a statement I'd made some issues back.
All Star Trek episodes of the First Season HAVE been released on video
tape, including "Return of the Archons" and "Tommorrow is Yesterday."
I or my video store or their supplier got some wires crossed and I still
have to try to find out what happened.

Secondly, I have just been appointed the Star Trek Welcommittee's
Personal Computer Consultant.  I don't suppose any of you need such
services, but if any of you would like to offer to be a consultant for
me on any particular brands of PCs or software, or would just like to
supply me with some info on how you use your PC in your fannish
activities, I would very much appreciate it.  Just message me directly.

--Lisa Wahl
   Star Trek Welcommittee