[net.music] Eberhard Weber

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/30/85)

> From: girard@osu-cgrg.UUCP (michael girard)

> .... especially the songs Ehberhard Weber played bass on.

Yeah!  Eberhard Weber is *the* greatest bass player.  And there can be
*no* argument!

			-Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

star@cdstar.UUCP (J Quillard) (10/31/85)

> Yeah!  Eberhard Weber is *the* greatest bass player.  And there can be
> *no* argument!
> 			-Doug Alan

Great! Let's argue! Eberhard is the best upright acoustic bass player,
but Stanley Clarke is the best electric/acoustic fusion bassist.  If you
ever have the opportunity to see Stanley live, please go.  Another
nomination for world's greatest bass player is Jack Bruce.  Alas, has
anyone ever found a way to fairly compare apples, oranges and melons??

			J Quillard @ Cambridge Digital Systems
			..{wjh12,talcott}!cdstar!star

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (10/31/85)

In article <252@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>> From: girard@osu-cgrg.UUCP (michael girard)
>
>> .... especially the songs Ehberhard Weber played bass on.
>
>Yeah!  Eberhard Weber is *the* greatest bass player.  And there can be
>*no* argument!

   Bullsh*t!  Tony Levin is *positively* the greatest bass player, at least
since my man Toejam stopped playing bass.

 - joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)

"An argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying..."
"Can be!"

(With regrets to the Python's for any mangling done.)

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (11/01/85)

>> [Me:] Yeah!  Eberhard Weber is *the* greatest bass player.  And there
>> can be *no* argument!

> Great! Let's argue! Eberhard is the best upright acoustic bass player,
> but Stanley Clarke is the best electric/acoustic fusion bassist.

Well, I'm no expert on Eberhard Weber, but what I've seen him play is
*not* an acoustic bass.  It's some very strange 5 string (or is it six
string?) once-acoustic bass drastically modified to be electric and to
look very unusual.  I've never heard Stanley Clarke, but I truly doubt
than anyone can much exceed Weber.

				-Doug Alan
				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (11/01/85)

[What was that you were saying about Lemmy, Andy?]

> From: oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster)

>> [Me:] Yeah!  Eberhard Weber is *the* greatest bass player.  And there
>> can be *no* argument!

> Bullsh*t!  Tony Levin is *positively* the greatest bass player, at least
> since my man Toejam stopped playing bass.

Well, it's close!  Maybe Eberhard Weber is the best on odd days and Tony
Levin is the best on even days.  But Tony doesn't do his own albums....

				Fluidly rustling,

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (11/01/85)

> > From: girard@osu-cgrg.UUCP (michael girard)
>
> > .... especially the songs Ehberhard Weber played bass on.
>
> Yeah!  Eberhard Weber is *the* greatest bass player.  And there can be
> *no* argument!
>
> 			-Doug Alan
> 			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

NOT ANOTHER GREATEST XXXXXX PLAYER DEBATE!#$%#!!!!!!

Yes, Eberhard is good. But what about Bill Laswell (listen to Memory
Serves, by Material) and Percy Jones (Brand X, Eno). These two guys
can handle any style of music and still sound unique. Eberhard is so
stylistic that he can't be compared with REAL bass players, he plays
melodically, which is beautiful, acceptable, etc... but he does very
little in the sense of playing anything resembling traditional bass
lines. It's like saying Laurie Anderson is *the* greatest violin
player because she plays it differently than anyone else.

   ||   ||
   [ x-x ]       Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | o |
    |___|        SCI Systems Inc. doesn't necessarily agree with Todd.

hedger@ada-uts.UUCP (11/02/85)

Except Eberhard plays upright electric bass....not acoustic

etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) (11/04/85)

>> Yeah!  Eberhard Weber is *the* greatest bass player.  And there can be
>> *no* argument!
>
>Great! Let's argue! Eberhard is the best upright acoustic bass player,
>but Stanley Clarke...

Oh Shit!  Let's not argue!  There is no "greatest bass player".  You will
think this if you've only heard one or two great bass players.  After you
hear enough of them, however, you'll find that it's impossible to name just one.
Just off the top of my head, have you heard:

	Jimmy Johnson		Jimmy Haslip
	Jaco Pastorius		Marc Johnson
	Dave Holland		David Freisen
	Jeff Berlin		Eddie Gomez
	Jerry Peek		Andy West
	Steve Swallow		Bunny Brunel
	Ray Brown		Ron Carter
	Fernando Saunders	Anthony Jackson
	Randy Jackson		Niels Henning-Oersted Pedersen (sp?)
	Bill Dickens		Charles Mingus

...and many more that I've forgotten or wasn't aware of.  Don't say X is the
greatest if you haven't heard all of the above.

                         -etan

into this discussion

girard@osu-cgrg.UUCP (michael girard) (11/06/85)

> > > From: girard@osu-cgrg.UUCP (michael girard)
> > > .... especially the songs Eberhard Weber played bass on.

> > Yeah!  Eberhard Weber is *the* greatest bass player.  And there can be
> > *no* argument!
> > 			-Doug Alan

> Yes, Eberhard is good. But what about Bill Laswell (listen to Memory
> Serves, by Material) and Percy Jones (Brand X, Eno). These two guys
> can handle any style of music and still sound unique. Eberhard is so
> stylistic that he can't be compared with REAL bass players, he plays
> melodically, which is beautiful, acceptable, etc... but he does very
> little in the sense of playing anything resembling traditional bass
> lines. It's like saying Laurie Anderson is *the* greatest violin
> player because she plays it differently than anyone else.
>                       - Todd Jones

  A computer can play melodies which surpass the technical capabilities
of ALL human bass players, ALL human guitar players, and in fact, ALL
human musicians who play manual instruments.
  What matters IS composition and style -- and that is what makes
E. Weber, B. Laswell and P. Jones so great.
                         - michael girard