[net.sf-lovers] What is the name of this story?

jao@valid.UUCP (John Oswalt) (01/30/86)

	Once upon a time (about 15 years ago) I read a story which I have
been trying ever since to find again.  It was pecularly constructed, so as
to have a suprise beginning.
	It was in three parts: the first part was prefaced by "This is the
end of the story"; the second by "This in the middle of the story"; the third
by "This is the beginning of the story."  It was about novelette length.  I
think it had robots in it.
	Somehow I have the notion in my mind that it was written by
Henry Kuttner (possibly writing as Lewis Padgett), but I have searched
my Kuttner collection (which is extensive but not complete) and failed
to find it.
	Can any of you netlanders help me?  advaTHANKSnce

--
John Oswalt (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid,ihnp4}!pesnta!valid!jao)

daver@felix.UUCP (Dave Richards) (02/06/86)

In article <82@valid.UUCP> jao@valid.UUCP (John Oswalt) writes:

>	Once upon a time (about 15 years ago) I read a story which I have
>been trying ever since to find again.  It was pecularly constructed, so as
>to have a suprise beginning.
>	It was in three parts: the first part was prefaced by "This is the
>end of the story"; the second by "This in the middle of the story"; the third
>by "This is the beginning of the story."  It was about novelette length.  I
>think it had robots in it.
>	Somehow I have the notion in my mind that it was written by
>Henry Kuttner (possibly writing as Lewis Padgett), but I have searched
>my Kuttner collection (which is extensive but not complete) and failed
>to find it.
>	Can any of you netlanders help me?  advaTHANKSnce
>

>--
>John Oswalt (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid,ihnp4}!pesnta!valid!jao)

I don't know if this story was ever printed in a book, but it certainly
sounds like a story appearing on "Love, American Style" about that
period of time ago.

As I recall, the story was prefaced by an announcement that it would be
in 3 parts, presented out of order.  It took place in an apartment or
hotel room, and involved a doctor that was conducting an experiment
with a female subject (meeting a guy, or something).  The doctor was
in a back room and observed what happened through one-way glass.

I don't remember whether the experiment was a success, but the final
surprise was when the 'beginning' was shown at the end to reveal the
doctor putting the final touches to a female robot he had just made.
(shown with a panel open with wires hanging out, etc, like Hymie on
"Get Smart").

This is pretty hazy, but I think the robot was supposed to be 'The
perfect companion to man' or something equally hackneyed.

Any Help?

Dave (let me know beforehand so I can adjust the chair) Richards