[net.sf-lovers] New books

@RUTGERS.ARPA:NEFF@SU-SIERRA.ARPA (02/02/85)

From: Randall B. Neff <NEFF@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>

Future Fantasy in Palo Alto has received:

del Rey:
    The Integral Trees        Larry Niven  3.50  first paperback novel
    Limits                    Larry Niven  2.95 new collection of short stories
    Night's Daughter          Marion Zimmer Bradley 2.95  new
          her version of the story of Mozart's opera, the Magic Flute
    The Bicentennial Man and Other Stories   Issac Asimov  2.95 reprint coll.
    Nine Tomorrows            Issac Asimov 2.95   reprint collection
    Night of Masks            Andre Norton 2.25   reprint novel

Pocket / Baen:
    A Day for Damnation       David Gerrold  first mass paper, sequel to
          A Matter for Men 3.95
    The Flight of the Dragonfly  Robert E. Forward  first mass paper, his
          second novel  3.50
    The Torch of Honor        Roger MacBride Allen  new novel 2.95
    With Mercy Toward None    Glen Cook    new novel 2.95
    October the First is Too Late    Sir Fred Hoyle  reprint novel 2.95
    The Future of Flight      Leik Myrabu / Dean Ing  new collection
         of speculation about fight in air and space   trade paperback 7.95

This is neither a offer to sell nor a soliciation to buy.

Randy.

If the books have finally reached California, they should be available
at points east.
-------

@RUTGERS.ARPA:NEFF@SU-SIERRA.ARPA (02/05/85)

From: Randall B. Neff <NEFF@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>

Books received in Palo Alto:

Ace  (officially, March titles, but Ace runs a month ahead)

Casca 13:   The Assassin                  Barry Sadler new novel 2.75
Great King's War                          Roland Green/John F. Carr 2.9
    The sequel to H. Beam Piper's Lord Kalvin of Otherwhen
The Song of Mavin Manyshapes              Sheri S. Tepper new novel 2.75
To Demons Bound  :1                       Robert Vardeman/George Proctor n 2.75
Sunsmoke                                  James Killus new 2.75
Sabazel                                   Lillian Stewart Carl new 2.75
A Judgement of Dragons                    Phyllis Gotlieb reprint 2.95
   The third of the trilogy is coming in a few months
Agent of Terran Empire                    Poul Anderson reprint 2.75
   getting ready for the novel about Flandry's daugther
Retief Unbound                            Keith Laumer reprint 2.95
East of Midnight (MagicQuest 15)          Tanith Lee new 2.25

Signet
Galaxies Like Grains of Sand              Brian Aldiss reprint 2.75

DAW
A Bait of Dreams                          Jo Clayton new 3.50
The Gorgon                                Tanith Lee new 2.95
The Vizier's Second Daughter              Robert F. Young new 2.50
Fugitive in Transit                       Edward Llewellyn new 2.95
The Douglas Connection                     " reprint 2.50
Prelude to Chaos                           " reprint 2.95
Salvage and Destroy                        " reprint 2.95
Bright Companion                           " reprint 2.50

I just received the new LOCUS magazine.  It contains their recommended
reading list for novels, nonfiction, and shorter fiction.

Randy  NEFF@SU-SIERRA
-------

romkey@mit-borax (07/20/85)

From: romkey@mit-borax (John L. Romkey)

Two new paperbacks I picked up last night at Wordsworth's in Harvard
Square: R.A. MacAvoy's "The Book of Kells" and Katherine Kurtz's "The
Bishop's Heir". I think they were both just released. Now to get myself
into that Deryni frame of mind...
						- john romkey
						  romkey@mit-borax

romkey@BORAX.MIT.EDU (10/27/85)

From: romkey@BORAX.MIT.EDU (John Romkey)

I just picked up Heinlein's latest, "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls"
(inside, subtitled "A Comedy of Manners") in hardcover from a local
random bookstore, so it is now out. I also saw "Job" and "So Long and
Thanks for All the Fish" in paperback.

So far (75 pages into it), The Cat seems like good old Heinlein. One
of the two main characters so far keeps saying "Want to go back to
bed?" The other is a former military type with a disability who has
taken up writing as a profession. Sound familiar?
					- john romkey
					  romkey@borax.mit.edu

waynet@tolerant.UUCP (Wayne Thompson) (10/31/85)

> From: romkey@BORAX.MIT.EDU (John Romkey)
>
> I just picked up Heinlein's latest, "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls"
> (inside, subtitled "A Comedy of Manners") in hardcover from a local
> random bookstore, so it is now out. I also saw "Job" and "So Long and
> Thanks for All the Fish" in paperback.
>
> So far (75 pages into it), The Cat seems like good old Heinlein. One
> of the two main characters so far keeps saying "Want to go back to
> bed?" The other is a former military type with a disability who has
> taken up writing as a profession. Sound familiar?
> 					- john romkey
> 					  romkey@borax.mit.edu

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR NOVEL ***

Heinlein was one of my first reads, and as such brings back fond memories,
however, it seems that after a point Heinlein runs philosophic, and loses
sight of the plot line( I.E. _Number_of_the_Beast_, what ever happened to
the  meanies?). Heinlein has a limited stock of characters, good guys,
(Himself young, himself as he now imagines himself (Jubal Harshaw, etc..),
bad guys, and assorted strong, capable,  intelligent (, and willing) females.
The philosophy is there for the reading. Ah.... the good old days.

NEFF@SU-SIERRA.ARPA@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/06/86)

From: Randall B. Neff <NEFF@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>

Here are the Spring Hardcover / Trade announcements for Spring and Summer

Tor:  In Alien Flesh       Gregory Benford    $14.95    short stories
      Speaker for the Dead   Orson Scott Card   15.95   Sequel to Ender's Game

Doubleday :
   A Darkness at Sethanon     Raymond E. Feist  $17.95   end of trilogy
   Quadriphobia     Alan Ryan  12.95     March
   The Hugo Winners vol 5     Isaac Asimov  ed   18.95  April
   The Bird of Time   George Alec Effinger   12.95  April
   Revenge of the Senior Citizens Plus   Kit Reed  12.95  April
   Trek to Kraggen-Cor  Dennis L. McKiernan   12.95  May
   The Brega Path         "     12.95  June
   The Tail of the Arabian Knight   Geoffrey Marsh   12.95  July
   Howard Who?      Howard Waldrop  12.95  July
   The Best Sf of I.A.     Isaac Asimov    17.95  August
   The Best Mysteries of I.A.  "           17.95  August
   Star Country        Michael Cassutt  12.95 August

Arbor House:
   Burning Chrome      William Gibson  14.95  April
   Dorothea Dreams     Suzy McKee Charnas  16.95  April
   Only Apparently Real: World of PDK   Paul Williams  7.95  May
   The Wandering Fire: II   Guy Bavriel Kay  15.95  June
   Kiteworld      Keith Roberts  14.95  July

Ballantine
   The Yellow Knight of Oz      Ruth Plumly Thompson   5.95  July
   Pirates in Oz
   The Purple Prince of Oz

Bantam
   Heart of the Comet     Gregory Benford and David Brin    17.95  (it is out!)

Del Rey
   Nerilka's Story        Anne McCaffrey   12.95    March
   Magic Kindom for Sale -- Sold!   Terry Brooks   16.95  April
   The Songs of Distant Earth    Arthur C. Clarke   17.95  May
   Highway of Eternity      Clifford D. Simak   14.95  June

Putnam
   Strangers    Dean R. Knoontz  17.95   April
   Man of Two Worlds    Frank Herbert and Brian Herbert  18.95  May
   The Touch     F. Paul Wilson  18.95  May

From Publishers Weekly,   Jan 31, 1986 issue
-------