[net.music.gdead] The Rhythm Devils

rosen@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Rob Rosen) (11/06/85)

   Anyone heard of these guys?  I have an album by them which is
called "Play Rhythm Music" and consists of outtakes from the score of
APOCALYPSE NOW.  I became interested in their music after watching the
13-part TV series "Vietnam: A Television History" over a year ago; the
theme was composed by them, and it really intrigued me.  I figured it
would be on "Play..." but it's not and I'd really like to get ahold
of a copy if it exists somewhere on vinyl.  I had a pretty hard time finding
"Play ..." and hence anticipate problems with finding the disc that has
the "Vietnam..." theme on it.  For those of you who have never heard their
music -- the Rhythm Devils are primarily Mickey Hart and Billy Kreutzmann
(sp?) from the Grateful Dead, along with Zakir Hussain (sp?), Airto (sp?), and
a couple other percussionists; I think Phil Lesh also plays on "Play..."
Any info. would be appreciated...

thanks,
--

		       --Rob Rosen

		       ...ucbvax!rosen
		       rosen@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

In article <10899@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> rosen@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Rob Rosen) writes:

>   Anyone heard of these guys?  I have an album by them which is
>called "Play Rhythm Music" and consists of outtakes from the score of
              ^^^^^^
sorry, it's   River    as in "Play River Music" I think.

...rob

--

		       --Rob Rosen

		       ...ucbvax!rosen
		       rosen@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

tynor@gitpyr.UUCP (Steve Tynor) (11/09/85)

In article <10899@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> rosen@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Rob Rosen) writes:
>music -- the Rhythm Devils are primarily Mickey Hart and Billy Kreutzmann
>(sp?) from the Grateful Dead, along with Zakir Hussain (sp?), Airto (sp?), and
>a couple other percussionists; I think Phil Lesh also plays on "Play..."
>Any info. would be appreciated...

I've never heard of the Rhythm Devils, but Micky Hart and 2 others did a
record for Reference Records a couple of years ago called Dafo\:s.  Very
interesting percussion music.  African sounding, lots of bass drum, bells,
hand drums, a little chanting...   The pressing is excellent (45rpm direct
disk)

Highly recommended.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Instutute of Technology

 ...{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
     ihnp4, masscomp, ut-ngp, rlgvax, sb1,
     uf-cgrl, unmvax, ut-sally}  !gatech!gitpyr!tynor