[net.music.gdead] Why not net.music.gdead too? Why pick on us shy people?

jj@alice.UUCP (09/19/86)

First, let me finish my biscuit, I am going to bloody well
FLAME, and I need help with my shyness!

Two questions:
	1)  As other writers have asked, why should wobegonians
have to deal with the likes of the rich part of the net, and
all the brash, mean, thrashing clamor that abounds elsewhere?  Why should
the one genteel group of the net be eliminated? Is it perhaps that the
mere gentility threatens the brash, rude millions?

	2)  Net.music.gdead is, while a bit less genteel, usually
laid-back and mostly pleasant.  It serves much the same purpose as
net.wobegon, so why not remove it as well, and eliminate ALL type 'B's
from the net?   After all, it is written -- the meek will inheret the
earth, but who will want it?

Perhaps the net is intended only for hurried, aggressive, antagonistic
type 'A's like the folks who would remove wobegon.  If so, that should
be stated in the charter.  How about a line to the effect:
	"Politeness, kind behavior, and meaningful, mutually satisfying
discussion are not appropriate for USENET.  It is considered improprietous
to show any propriety in one's postings.  It is understood that net.flame
was removed because it was desired that all groups be flame-bearing.
Such kind behavior as was evidenced in the justifiably removed net.wobegon
will NOT be tolerated."

(Lest we forget, it was JJ himself who was the prime agent and instigator
of the partial demise of net.flame.  At this time, JJ thinks he was
snookered.  Flame yet lives, but wobegon will die.  While this is clearly
a victory for anal-yuppie virtrue, it seems to forget one of the prime
reasons for netnews, namely the weal of nutnoise's readers.)

Seriously, flame was a huge volume group that was out of control.
Even cbosgd appears to continue to carry it.  Wobegon was small,
quiet, happy, and offended no one, other than those whose sense of
order cannot tolerate a small oasis of happiness in a sea of discontent.
I think that the mere suggestion of wobegon's removal shows the depth of
administrator unhappiness, and perhaps a desire that the net become
so unpleasant that it will go away forever.

Well, Watson, it's merely a symptom, and not the disease itself.
--
GODS OF NETNEWS BEWARE, THE TEDDY BEARS WILL HAVE THEIR PICNIC!
"Hear the Tolling of the Bells, Iron Bells"

credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) (09/19/86)

>Perhaps the net is intended only for hurried, aggressive, antagonistic
>type 'A's like the folks who would remove wobegon.  If so, that should
>be stated in the charter.  How about a line to the effect:
>	"Politeness, kind behavior, and meaningful, mutually satisfying
>discussion are not appropriate for USENET.  It is considered improprietous
>to show any propriety in one's postings.  It is understood that net.flame
>was removed because it was desired that all groups be flame-bearing.
>Such kind behavior as was evidenced in the justifiably removed net.wobegon
>will NOT be tolerated."

For crying out loud, will somebody volunteer to start a mailing list,
instead of just lamenting about the demise of the net group?  For a
gang with this low a level of discussion, a mailing list would be
better, anyway.

kludge@gitpyr.UUCP (Scott Dorsey) (10/03/86)

In article <6088@alice.uUCp> jj@alice.UUCP writes:
>Seriously, flame was a huge volume group that was out of control.
>Even cbosgd appears to continue to carry it.  Wobegon was small,
>quiet, happy, and offended no one, other than those whose sense of
>order cannot tolerate a small oasis of happiness in a sea of discontent.

   I am forced to speak up.  Many of my friends, two shy to reply to
your message, read this newsgroup exclusively, and are very upset that
news has started appearing here.  They would prefer that this newsgroup

-------
Disclaimer: Everything I say is probably a trademark of someone.  But
            don't worry, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Scott Dorsey       " If value corrupts
kaptain_kludge         then absolute value corrupts absolutely"

ICS Programming Lab (Where old terminals go to die), (hallway outside) Rich 110,
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 36681, Atlanta, Georgia 30332
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!kludge