[mod.unix] Unix Technical Discussions V1 #3

unix@cbosgd.UUCP (03/11/85)

From: Ron Heiby (The Moderator) <unix-request@cbosgd.UUCP>

Unix Technical Discussions     Sat, 09 Mar 1985    Volume 1 : Issue 3

Today's topics:
	   Looking for advise on buying low-end Unix boxes (3)
		Looking for advise on buying a Unix Vax

Date: 5 Feb 85 20:30:58 GMT
From: mark@tikal.UUCP (Mark McWiggins)
Subject: Cheap Unix Workstations (Cromemco? Stride?)

I bought a house instead of a machine the last time I asked
this, and the world changes, so ...

Does anyone have any recommendations on a cheap (less than
$10K) Unix workstation, preferably 68K or 320xx based?  I
see Cromemco's ads for a machine with System V + BSD goodies;
does it exist yet?  Has anyone tried it?  Is Cromemco
an OK company generally?

Is anyone running Unix on a Stride (formerly Sage)?

Please reply by mail, and I'll summarize to the net.

------------------------------

Date: 14 Feb 85 18:00:17 GMT
From: bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery)
Subject: Want info on 68000 boxes running 4.xBSD

We at ncoast are looking to expand upward from our TRS-80 Model 16, which
is a nice box but (1) doesn't quite know what to do with an 85meg hard
disk (it refused to format the last 8 meg), and (2) any *real* work makes
it run like a snail, thanks to the Z-80 doing I/O duty.

We have so far seen only two options in the 68000 arena (we can't afford
VAX, why do you think we're running on a TRS-80?):  System V and 4.2BSD.
Unfortunately, System V does not strike me as a programmers' environment,
and reports on 4.2 indicate that lots of hard disk and core are required...
both of which are expensive.  So I'm looking to see if anyone has 4.1
(*with* job control) ported to the 68000.

I have already seen Pixel's latest Unix release; 4.1 minus job control.
Otherwise, a nice-looking system.  But I've taken to including a homebrew
(and not quite complete, given only V7 support) job control package in
my programs to make debugging easier.  I'd REALLY prefer that a better
version were available to me, since I do a lot of programming.

PLease mail any replies; since I noticed that most wanted requests were
for things I can't help with (often because it's in New Jersey and I'm
not), I unsubscribed from net.wanted.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon (bsa@ncoast.UUCP)
----
(P.S.  If anyone out there knows of a 68000 box that runs 4.2 in such
a way that it doesn't need more than a megabyte of core and about 144
meg of hard disk to work without thrashing, let me know.)
--
Brandon Allbery, decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa, "ncoast!bsa"@case.csnet (etc.)
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio 44131 +1 216 524 1416 (or what have you)

------------------------------

Date: 4 Mar 85 06:19:24 GMT
From: whm@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (William Maddox)
Subject: Need info on Low-end Unix boxes

I am in the market for an entry-level Unix(tm) system for software
development, and would appreciate hearing comments from users of the
following systems:

	IBM-PC/AT (Xenix, PC/IX if available)
	Convergent Technologies Miniframe (SysV)
	Heurikon Minibox (UniPlus+, Regulus)
	NCR Tower
	Callan UniStar 100

Of particular importance are hardware reliability, quality of the Unix port,
compile and link speed, and the usability of a minimum configuration, say
512K RAM and 20MB disk.  Also, I am interested in other machines in the same
class but not listed above.

Please reply directly to me, and I will summarize to the net.

William Maddox
uucp:  ...!seismo!cmu-cs-spice!whm
arpa:  whm@CMU-CS-Spice
phone: (412) 578-2627

------------------------------

Date: 31 Jan 85 02:16:07 GMT
Subject: VAX load
From: Tom Perrine <tom@LOGICON.ARPA>

This is an off-the-wall question:
"About what kind of VAX system am I going to need to support
10 systems programmers doing HEAVY development work, i.e. lots of
video editor stuff (hopefully EMACS), and lots of LARGE compiles, plus
misc. ARPAnet traffic, all on 4.2BSD?"

I realize that this question has no real answer, but I am only familiar
with VMS on 780s, I have never run or used a 730 or 750, and never 4.2BSD.

Any comments on configurations you are running, with the number of
concurrent users, load factors, etc.  would be appreciated.  Also any
comments about good/bad choices for disks, terminal interfaces, or
ARPAnet interface devices would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Tom Perrine
ARPA: tom@LOGICON.ARPA
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!tom@LOGICON.ARPA	{Is this right???}

End of Unix Technical Discussions
--
Ronald W. Heiby / ihnp4!{wnuxa!heiby|wnuxb!netnews}
AT&T Information Systems, Inc.