[mod.unix] Unix Technical Discussions V1 #6

unix@cbosgd.UUCP (03/11/85)

From: Ron Heiby (The Moderator) <unix-request@cbosgd.UUCP>

Unix Technical Discussions     Sat, 09 Mar 1985    Volume 1 : Issue 6

Today's topics:
			Will BSD4.1 run on a 785?
			 Want BSD4.2 Benchmarks
		Want Semaphores and/or Shared Memory for BSD4.2
		    Looking for DMD5620 users on BSD4.2
			Want to modify /etc/comsat
		    Looking for better disk format routine
		    Trying to port VS11 driver from BSD4.1
		       Want to port SysV RJE to BSD4.2

Date: 31 Jan 85 22:43:21 GMT
From: rad@mitre-bedford.ARPA
Subject: BSD4.1 on a 785

     Right now we're running BSD4.1 on a VAX-11/780.  We just received
our 785 upgrade kit.  We want to swap in the new CPU boards next
weekend to help our swamped out 780.

     From following the discussions about the 785 being bug-for-bug
compatible with the 780, I know that 4.2 runs on the 785, whether
it's 4.2 from the Berkeley distribution or from an Ultrix distribution.
I'd like to be as confident about 4.1, too.  Has anyone run 4.1 on a
785?

     Since we want to make the switch, reboot, and start running
(faster) without any interruption, I'd like to ask if there are any
potential trouble spots to look out for.  In particular:  will the
instructions in "Installing and Operating BSD4.1" for making a new boot
floppy be enough?  Any hidden trickiness with the 785 on that score?
Are there any drivers or even any kernel code which might be sensitive
to timing changes that a ~50% boost in CPU speed would bring out?

     Please, no flames about 4.1--we'll be going to 4.2 soon.

Thanks,
Dick Dramstad
rad@mitre-bedford.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 7 Feb 85 14:50:09 GMT
From: JRBRINKEMA@USC-ISI.ARPA
Subject: 4.2 Benchmarks wanted

In "Measuring and Improving the Performance of 4.2BSD" by
Leffler, Karels and McKusick (published in the USENIX Summer 1984
Proceedings) reference is made to a series of 'micro-operation'
benchmarks.  The sources for those benchmarks are listed in
Appendix A; unfortunatly, Appendix A is not part of the published
document.

Could someone please send me a copy (or pointer to a copy) of the
said benchmarks.  I am particularly intertested in the routines
'csw' and 'signocsw'.

tia  John Brinkema

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 85 16:04:09 GMT
From: bruce@garfield.UUCP (Bruce Keats)
Subject: Semaphores and/or Shared Memory Implementations for 4.2BSD

	Before we re-invent the wheel, does anyone know of any
implementations of semaphoes and/or shared memory for 4.2BSD.
Yes, (before I get flames about using 4.2 and not V) we are aware
of the implmentations under System V.
----
 Bruce Keats
 your_favorite_AT&T/Bell_Labs_site!garfield!bruce
 "Perhaps if we made a giant wooden badger ..."

------------------------------

Date: 2 Feb 85 23:42:15 GMT
From: jim@mcvax.UUCP (Jim McKie)
Subject: 5620's + 4.2 -- looking for others

We are using 5620's (Blits) on 4.2BSD using the tape
available from Teletype. I am interested in contact with
others in a similar position to share experiences, bugs,
fixes, etc. Reply by mail.

--jim

------------------------------

Date: 22 Feb 85 21:43:00 GMT
From: jjg@security.UUCP (Jeff Glass)
Subject: biff

I have been annoyed by 'biff' ringing the terminal bell and
messing up my screen too many times.  I am thinking of modifying
/etc/comsat to only print the message "You have new mail"
(ala csh's message) if the user setuid bit is turned on in addition
to the user execute bit.

question is:  would this have side effects that I am not aware of?
are the other execute bits (for group and other) used for anything?

reply by mail if you think this is a stupid question;  otherwise you
can reply to the net.

thanks/jeff
--
  security!jjg@mitre-bedford.ARPA				(MIL)
  jjg@security.UUCP						(UUCP)

------------------------------

Date: 21 Feb 85 07:12:55 GMT
From: nancy@resonex.UUCP (Nancy Blachman)
Subject: Formatting Fujitsu Eagles under 4.2 BSD Unix

Has any one done a study on the effectiveness of disk formatting
programs? Which formatting program have you found to be most
effective? I have tried formatting disks with the Unix 4.2 format
routine.  It took me 13 hours on a 400 mbyte disk.  I have also
formatted Eagles using the Emulex format routine which takes 2 1/2
hours.  Naturally I prefer bringing down the system for 2 1/2 hours
rather than 13.  But is the Emulex format routine any good?
--
Nancy Blachman 		UUCP: {allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,ucbvax!sun}!resonex!nancy
(408)720 8600 x37 	ARPA: sun!resonex!nancy@ucbvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 24 Feb 85 13:07:16 GMT
From: turner%lsu.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (Henry F Turner)
Subject: device driver help

	I'm trying to modify a device driver that supposedly worked on
4.1bsd to work on 4.2bsd.  The device is a DEC VS11 display processor.
It gets its instructions and data from a "display file" in host (VAX)
memory via dma. Thus the driver handles it as an exclusive access device
and allows only one read or write, which merely sets up mapping the
display file from host memory to the device (on a unibus). Ioctl's are
are used to otherwise control/communicate with the device. The original
driver used vslock to lock the display file down and included only a
comment wondering whether or not it was necessary to unlock it at close
time.
	Well, I made what I thought were the obvious changes and got the
driver installed and working, but sure enough, every time we used the
device, we would lose memory equivalent to the size of the display file.
I added code to save the address and size in the softc structure and then
used that at close time to vsunlock it. That worked fine, all memory was
returned to the free list. That is, fine PROVIDED the user closed the
device before exiting! It seems exit "vrelse"es all a proc's memory and
THEN closef's the files. Calling vsunlock with the proc pte entry zeroed
out seems to do nasty things to the kernal. It crashes! I put in a check
for p_flags with SWEXIT. If set, I print a message about the memory we
just pissed away and skip the vsunlock. This makes the device usable with
a reasonably conscientious user population but its not a solution.
	I've tried to study the code to get a real understanding of how
the memory management works and what is really going on but the code gets
a bit opaque for my experience level. I've notice that among all the
drivers that came with the distribution, only one uses the vslock/unlock
calls (directly). There must be another way around this problem. If you
have any insights into this or have an ideas about where I might be
screwing up, I would much appreciate enlightenment.

Thanks for your time,

Henry F Turner
Computer Science Department
Room 298 Coates Hall
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA  70803

Phone:	(504) 388-1495
CSNET:	turner@lsu
ARPA:	turner%lsu@csnet-relay

------------------------------

Date: 1 Mar 85 16:04:17 GMT
From: herber@bgsuvax.UUCP (Steve Herber)
Subject: Porting AT&T's RJE software from System V to 4.2BSD

We are looking into porting System V's RJE support to 4.2BSD.  This
will involve changing the way the RJE programs step through directories
and also adding DUP11 support to VPM (Virtual Protocal Machine) along
with a few (hopefully) other minor items.

Has anyone tried this before????

Has anyone from AT&T tried writing VPM support for a DUP11????

Am I a fool for trying such a thing????

For this and many other answers, stay tuned for further messages.

Steve Herber
Bowling Green State Univ.
osu-eddie!bgsuvax!herber
[do nice guys always finish last???]

End of Unix Technical Discussions
--
Ronald W. Heiby / ihnp4!{wnuxa!heiby|wnuxb!netnews}
AT&T Information Systems, Inc.