[mod.unix] Unix Technical Discussions V1 #7

unix@cbosgd.UUCP (03/11/85)

From: Ron Heiby (The Moderator) <unix-request@cbosgd.UUCP>

Unix Technical Discussions     Sat, 09 Mar 1985    Volume 1 : Issue 7

Today's topics:
		 Want Symbolic Debug for BSD2.9
		Need Help with BSD2.9 dump/restor
		 Want to put BSD2.9 on PDP-11/24

Date: 19 Feb 85 20:57:59 GMT
From: jwp@uwmacc.UUCP (jeffrey w percival)
Subject: symbolic debugger for 2.9

Under version 2.8, cc has a -g (debug) option that is supposed
to provide additional symbol table information for use by a
symbolic debugger named sdb.  We have 2.8 documentation for sdb but
nothing else; in 2.9 all references to sdb and the -g option
have disappeared.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone with
experience using sdb, or any other symbolic debugger compatible
with version 2.8 or 2.9.  I am also interested in finding out
why all references to sdb have been expunged from 2.9.
--
	Jeff Percival
jwp@uwmacc.UUCP  (...!{allegra,ihnp4,seismo,...}!uwvax!uwmacc!jwp)

------------------------------

Date: 17 Feb 85 22:09:47 GMT
From: jwp@uwmacc.UUCP (jeffrey w percival)
Subject: Unix 2.9 dump/restor

I am trying to get 2.9 installed on my 11/70, and have progressed to
the point of worrying about dumps and restors.  I see a dump,restor
pair in /usr/src/cmd, and dump source (but no restor) in /usr/src/ucb/dump.
I see a dumprestor.h in /usr/include and in the ucb/dump area as well.
1. Will the non-ucb restor work with the ucb dump?
2. Does the ucb dumprestor.h completely supersede the one in /usr/include?
3. What about the standalone restor?  Is that the same as the regular restor?
   I remember in my 2.8 system having to massage some constants
   until the standalone restor was < 48k...  is that required in 2.9?

To summarize: how do I get a unified dump/restor (including standalone)?
I'd appreciate some mail on this.  Thanks.

Date: 1 Mar 85 20:06:16 GMT
From: tpsc-irt@DDN2.ARPA
Subject: 2.9 BSD on a PDP-11/24

Has anyone had any luck installing Berkeley 2.9BSD on a PDP-11/24?
(2 RL02 drives)  We can boot from tape, make a file system, and install
the root file system, but when we try to boot rl(0,0)rlunix we get a
banner, the memory availible, and a panic trap type 11 (segmentation
violation).  Any hints?  Please reply personally, I really doubt if this
is a hot issue to most people.
Thanks in advance...

--A closed mouth gathers no foot...
Mark Fausett (tpsc-irt @DDN2)

End of Unix Technical Discussions
--
Ronald W. Heiby / ihnp4!{wnuxa!heiby|wnuxb!netnews}
AT&T Information Systems, Inc.