[mod.unix] Unix Technical Discussions V1 #10

unix@cbosgd.UUCP (03/11/85)

From: Ron Heiby (The Moderator) <unix-request@cbosgd.UUCP>

Unix Technical Discussions     Sun, 10 Mar 1985    Volume 1 : Issue 10

Today's topics:
			    Wants Unix on a DEC 20
		      Installing Ethernet on Plexus P/35
		  Looking for unused file migration utility
		Looking for users of AT&T's IBM 370 C Compiler
		    Wants info on stack space management
		  Looking for kernel protocol implementations
		Offer to compile info on personal computer Unix
			Looking for papers on debugging

Date: 14 Feb 85 02:02:17 GMT
From: dwight@timeb.UUCP (Dwight Ernest)
Subject: Port >ANY< Un*x Flavor to TOPS-20?

Does anyone know of a port of ANY flavor of Un*x to a DEC
TOPS-20 machine? (Yes, I know, it's weird, and "why would
anyone wanna do a silly thing like that?" and etc...)
Still, maybe someone, somewhere knows of such a silly
thing. If you do, I'd sure appreciate hearing details,
or rumors, or pointers, or anything like that.

Mail, please, not postings. If response is sufficient, I'll
summarize to the net.  Thanks!
--
--Dwight Ernest	KA2CNN	\ Usenet:...vax135!timeinc!dwight
Time Inc. Editorial Technology Group, New York City

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 85 13:28:53 GMT
From: eric@osiris.UUCP (Eric Bergan)
Subject: Excelan and Plexus

	We are having some difficulty trying to install an intelligent
Excelan ethernet board (EXOS 201) into a Plexus P/35. Has anyone out there
successfully done this? When we try and download the board, we get (after
proper compilation of debug messages) a message saying that /dev/EXOS/download
was opened, but then the system gets a bus error before the open system call
returns. I think I have everything pasted together correctly, but I would like
to hear from anyone who has any experience with this combination. Thanks.
--
eric
...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!osiris!eric

------------------------------

Date: 12 Feb 85 15:11:04 GMT
From: Tod Pike <PIKE@TL-20B.ARPA>
Subject: needed: tape migration

I am looking for a UNIX utility to move unaccessed files from disk to
tape in a manner similar to the DEC TOPS-20 "MIGRATE" utility.  For
those not familiar with this utility, the major feature is that the
program automatically moves old files from disk, leaving behind a
(small) file containing a pointer to the tape the file was stored on,
thus making retrieval easier.  If anyone has written/seen/heard of such
a program, please mail me or post a pointer.  System details: UNIX 4.2
on a VAX 780.  Thanks.  Tod Pike (PIKE@TL-20B.ARPA)

------------------------------

Date: 8 Feb 85 17:06:07 GMT
From: Robert Reiner <RREINER@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: AT&T 370 C Compiler

Is anyone using the AT&T C Compiler for the IBM 370?  If so please contact
Steve Lesh AV 879 8047 or 8075.  Commercial  calls to 602-538 8047
or 8075.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: 2 Feb 85 09:45:32 GMT
Subject: stack space mapping question
From: whm@arizona.UUCP (Bill Mitchell)

I have a question about how the Unix kernel manages stack space.  Suppose
one has a process that grabs a couple of hundred kbytes of stack space for
use in a subroutine.  Obviously, while this space lies between the stack
pointer and the end of the stack, the pages in the region are part of
the address space of the process.  My question is:  If the process returns
from the subroutine, are those stack pages used by the subroutine still
in the process's address space?

It would seem like a reasonable thing for the system to not consider the
pages to be in the process's address space, i.e., consider the stack page
into which the sp points to be the lowest stack page in the process's
address space. (Note that a down-growing stack is assumed for purposes
of discussion.)  On 4.2 on Suns and Vaxs, the system does allow (based
on empirical studies rather than code examination) access to pages below
the sp as long as they were properly contained in the stack at some point
in time.  Is this implementation dependent or is this some sort of standard
Unix "feature"?

Thanks in advance,
Bill Mitchell
whm.arizona@csnet-relay
{ihnp4,noao,mcnc,utah-cs}!arizona!whm

------------------------------

Date: 6 Feb 85 22:02:56 GMT
From: mostek@ihnp4.UUCP (James Mostek)
Subject: kernel protocol implementations

I would like to compile a list of all the implementations of
networking protocols: (protocol name, UNIX version, hardware),
and how to get them (company/cost/contact person or department).

The list I know of so far includes:
	TCP/IP	-- 4.2 BSD, EXOS/8010 for several UNIX versions
		and hardware, FUSION for several UNIX versions and hardware,
	XNS -- FUSION (I don't know what hardware/UNIX versions)

	NBS' Tranport?
	ma and pa's?

Send me mail and I'll post the results.
I'm only interested in UNIX implementations that reside in the kernel, as a
device driver, or reside on a board.
Thanks in advance,
--
          James Mostek, Bell Labs @ Naperville, ihnp4!mostek

------------------------------

Date: 24 Feb 85 22:41:26 GMT
From: rabson@harvard.ARPA (David Rabson)
Subject: offer to compile pc unix info

(That's little "p," little "c.")

I'm interested in information on personal computers running {u,ve,xe}nix.

If people owning personal computers (<$4500) running unix look-alike operating
systems would mail me short summaries of their experiences, I will repost
to the net.

------------------------------

Date: 25 Feb 85 18:33:56 GMT
From: craig@loki (Craig Partridge)
Subject: Papers on Debugging?

	I'm trying to locate papers on debugging.  I'm particularly
interested in the problems of debugging distributed applications and
systems, but would also like to locate the "standard" papers on
problems related to debugging generally.

	Replies to me please -- if there are enough requests I will
summarize to the net.

Craig Partridge
craig@bbn-loki
craig%loki@csnet-relay (CSNET)
{ihnp4,wjn12,decvax}!bbncca!craig (USENET)

End of Unix Technical Discussions
--
Ronald W. Heiby / ihnp4!{wnuxa!heiby|wnuxb!netnews}
AT&T Information Systems, Inc.