Date: 7 Mar 85 19:45:47 GMT
From: naftoli@aecom.UUCP (Robert N. Berlinger)
Subject: Newcastle Connection

I know this was hashed out on the net a while back, but I need
some info the Newcastle Connection.  Specifically, will it run on
System III/Vr2, and does it need kernel mods?  Thanks in advance...
--
Robert Berlinger
...{philabs,cucard,pegasus,ihnp4,rocky2}!aecom!naftoli

------------------------------

Date: 20 Feb 85 22:23:45 GMT
From: naftoli@aecom.UUCP (Robert N. Berlinger)
Subject: taking dumps to tape on System Vr2

I have been going crazy trying to find a normal way to do
full dumps to tape on System V.  The alleged dump enhancements
are poor/unusable, although I don't have an alternative at the
moment.

First my needs:

1. The dump needs to be driven by a front end shell so that operator
   hassle is kept to a minimum.  I have written such shells in the
   past (i.e., for System III dump(1M)) and don't find that to be a problem.

2. Must dump fairly quickly (cpio/tar are definitely too slow).

3. Must have a simple restore program, preferably an interactive one
   like the 4.2bsd restore program.

4. Must be able to handle multiple reels.

My attempt at a solution:

I had thought that volcopy/frec would fit the bill, but volcopy
is so picky and bug ridden that I'm fed up with it.  I had
planned to put my own index file (basically the output of ff(1M)
of the file system) onto the tape which would precede the
volcopy, but because of bugs in volcopy (see post in
net.bugs.usg) that doesn't work properly.

I have already written an interactive peruser which reads in
filenames and inode numbers (such as those produced by ff(1M))
and provides the same basic interface as the BSD restore.
Filenames marked to be extracted would be passed on to frec(1M)
for restoration.

Does anyone have any suggestions or answers as to how they take
their dumps?  Any response would be greatly appreciated.  Please
reply by mail.  If I get some positive answers, I'll post a followup.

Date: 5 Feb 85 20:30:27 GMT
From: sater@duvel.UUCP (Hans van Staveren)
Subject: Vax 750 and System V, anyone?

Some time ago I sent a query through Europe to ask for anyone
that wanted to run a benchmark for us under System V on a Vax 11/750.
Nobody replied. This can be because people do not want other peoples
benchmarks on their machine, which is understandable, but I wondered:
are their VAXen around running System V, or is the intersection
of Usenet and the real working community empty ? :-)

Please don't reply to the net, if I get any answers I will summarize.
Typing 'r' is just as easy as typing 'f' folks!

--
		Hans van Staveren, Philips Micro Development Systems
		..!{seismo|philabs|decvax}!mcvax!philmds!sater

End of Unix Technical Digest
--
Ronald W. Heiby / ihnp4!{wnuxa!heiby|wnuxb!netnews}
AT&T Information Systems, Inc.