[net.sf-lovers] book info req.

Slocum.CSCDA@HI-MULTICS.ARPA@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (01/29/86)

From: Slocum@HI-MULTICS.ARPA

In regards to the book that was similar to Stasheff's "Warlock ...", I
believe you're talking about the Camolot books by Arthur Landis.  These
consist of "A World Called Camolot", "Camolot in Orbit", and another
book of which I don't the title.  These books were very good.  The main
character is a terran agent sent to Camolot, a world where magic seems
to work.  He was sent there because the previous agents had been sending
some very strange reports up until the reports stopped coming.  This
agent poses as a warrior, and since he comes from a high gravity world,
he has a lot of strength.  He also has some nifty devices with him that
come in handy.  The idea is not to disturb the inhabitants, and not to
let them know that he is from outside.  These devices produce effects
similar to magic.  A very good example of Lazarus Long's comment "A
sufficiently high level of technology is indistinguishable from magic."
(Or something like that.)

Is this the book you meant?

   Brett Slocum
   (Slocum@HI-MULTICS)

ins_ajsk@jhunix.UUCP (Jon Kay) (01/30/86)

> From: Slocum@HI-MULTICS.ARPA
>
>                                    ...  These devices produce effects
> similar to magic.  A very good example of Lazarus Long's comment "A
> sufficiently high level of technology is indistinguishable from magic."
> (Or something like that.)

As Arthur C. Clarke always was one of my favorite authors, I feel mildly
honor-bound to point out that the quotation attributed to Lazarus Long above
was originally stated by Clarke as one of his three laws.  I cannot remember
the other laws offhand.

                                            Jon Kay

"I'm sorry... I won't do it again, really I won't..."

guy@slu70.UUCP (Guy M. Smith) (01/31/86)

In article <1119@caip.RUTGERS.EDU>, Slocum.CSCDA@HI-MULTICS.ARPA@caip.RUTGERS.EDU writes:
> similar to magic.  A very good example of Lazarus Long's comment "A
> sufficiently high level of technology is indistinguishable from magic."
> (Or something like that.)

I think this comment actually originated with Arthur Clarke from whom
Heinlein borrowed it. Being picky about citations is one of the curses of
being an academic. I even find myself citing sources for jokes.

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (02/08/86)

>> "A
>> sufficiently high level of technology is indistinguishable from magic."
>> Heinlein
> Clarke!

Now don't start *that* again!

Yes, both Heinlein and Clarke are credited with the above statement --
and a lot of flaming has passed between fans on and off the net.

The verdict?  Neither admits to being the originator.

The only clear thing is, they *both* said it.

Barb