Date: March 31, 1985
From: netnews@wnuxb.UUCP (Ron Heiby)
Subject: mod.unix intro (revised)

I've received some requests for this, also a couple of things have changed
and perhaps some people missed it the first time.
-------

Welcome to mod.unix!  It is intended that mod.unix be a place for the
exchange of technical information and mutual assistance in matters related
to the Unix Operating System.  I hope you find it helpful.  Let me know
of ways in which I can improve its usefulness to you.

Although I am pretty knowledgeable about System V and had a passing
acquaintance with 4.1bsd, I know next to nothing about 4.2bsd, 2bsd,
and most of the more obscure hybrids.  So, we are still counting on
the readership to supply most of the answers.

If I see a question come in that has been covered before, and there
has been nothing (like a new bsd or AT&T release) that might change
the previous material, I will try to just send a "back issue" to the
questioner to see if that is the needed information.  If not, maybe
a more specific question to the group is what is needed.

One of the by-words here will be brevity.  I hope that when a question
is of such narrow interest that very few of you would be interested,
the poster will get the responses and that they will not go to the
group, except as a summary by the poster.  (A *real* summary, not just
a compendium of the replies.) If a question is of more general interest,
there will likely be responses posted back to mod.unix.  I will try to
summarize those that come in at about the same time and weed out those
that add nothing new.  I will also try to trim unnecessary white space,
unneeded quotes from previous articles, and overly verbose signatures.

I will try to put some meaningful information into the "Keywords"
header line, so that you can better decide if there is anything of
interest to you in the digest.  "Keywording" is new to me, so I am
open to suggestions.

I have no control over what comes in to me when, but as far as I can,
I will try to group related articles into a single posting.  For
example, if I get several obscure 4bsd questions at about the same time,
I'll post a single "digest" containing them all.  Several answers to
a previous question that come in together will also be put into a digest.

I will also try to weed out items that are more appropriate to another
group.  In particular, this is not net.bugs, net.legal, net.wanted.sources,
net.dcom, or net.rumor.  I would prefer that mod.unix not turn into
a discussion group on the political or economic ramifications of some
new product announcement, either, although a brief (technically oriented,
not advertising) posting that tells of a new Unix-related product would
probably be acceptable.

To help get mod.unix going, and to ease the transition from net.unix and
net.unix-wizards, I will be posting digests of questions and answers that
appear on those two groups through the end of April.  I don't promise that I
will find all of the good stuff in those groups, since there is so much of
it, but I hope to get the best.  Articles sent directly to me for mod.unix
will get more careful consideration than those that happen to catch my eye
in the net groups.

To post an article to mod.unix, send it as mail to "unix@cbosgd.UUCP".
Administrative messages should be mailed to "unix-request@cbosgd.UUCP".
Netnews administrators should modify their 2.10.2 "moderators" file to
point to the new address.  Those on 2.10.2 systems that have been so
updated can simply "post" to the newsgroup and the posting will be mailed
correctly to me.

(Mail that gets sent to wnuxb!netnews or wnuxa!heiby will be assumed to
be private in nature, as though sent to the unix-request address.  Those
two addresses are not guaranteed to work forever, as I will be changing
news machines soon.)

Anyway, this is new for me, so please show patience and kindness in your
suggestions.  Where there is divergence between the way I would like to
see mod.unix go and the way some of you would, I'll post the issue,
take in the responses, and summarize them back to the group.  Thanks.

End of Unix Technical Digest
--
Ronald W. Heiby / ihnp4!{wnuxa!heiby|wnuxb!netnews}
AT&T Information Systems, Inc.