Date: 3 Apr 85 19:30:44 GMT
From: karl@vrdxhq.UUCP (Karl Nyberg)
Subject: 750 not rebooting on panic

I have a 750 with an SI 9900 controller and a pair of Eagle disk
drives.  However, the 750 repeatedly fails to reboot after a panic.  It
will load the boot, the vmunix, list the devices, and then just sit
there.  Upon typing a carriage return, the system responds with:
"Automatic reboot in progress..." and then continues on its merry way.
I have installed the device driver from SI, but other than this, have a
pretty much unmodified kernel. Has anybody else experienced this
problem before and / or can they provide me with a fix so that I don't
have to drive in to the office to type the carriage return when the
system crashes?  Thanks.
--
-- Karl --

DDN: 	nyberg@utexas
UUCP:	...!{rlgvax,seismo,trwatf,umcp-cs}!vrdxhq!karl

------------------------------

Date: 7 Apr 85 21:33:27 GMT
From: roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith)

>      ... However, the 750 repeatedly fails to reboot after a panic.  It
> will load the boot, the vmunix, list the devices, and then just sit there.

We've got the same problem here, too.  The symptoms are identical except
that occasionally (very rarely) it does finish the reboot without having
to hit return.  This not only occurs on reboot after panic, but also on
reboot after shutdown or halt, and on boot after power-up (i.e. all the
time).  Various particulars:

11/750 (not yet rev 7)			4.2 bsd with no kernal hacking
ra-81/uda-50				except for re-arranging the disk
--
cmcl2!rocky2!cubsvax -\
       vax135!timeinc -> !phri!roy (Roy Smith, System Administrator)

------------------------------

Date: 3 Apr 85 21:34:08 GMT
From: ay@cadovax.UUCP (Alex Young)
Subject: Fujitsu Eagles	on System V

We are going to	be installing Unix System V 2.0	Version	2.0 on a
VAX 11/785 configured with 4 Eagles and	a CDC 9766.

Does anyone in wizard-land have	the necessary mods to the gd driver to
allow for the expanded capacity	of the Eagles when configured as RM80's?
 If so please send me e-mail or	call me	at (213) 323 8170 Ext 2069.

Any pointers or	help will be extremely appreciated.
Thanks in advance
--
Alexander Young
{ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!ay

------------------------------

Date: 3 Apr 85 03:10:29 GMT
From: david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover)
Subject: Loading G&H floating point on -750 under 4.2BSD

Here is the problem.

Our -750 has 3 eagles attached to it.  We need to have the G&H
floating point available for mathematics researchers.  (For you
new-comers, G&H floating point is much larger precision than
the normal precision you get from single and double).  Our only
method right now is to re-boot VMS whenever we have a powerfail.
This is because VMS knows how to reload the floating point microcode,
but Unix doesn't.  That is our only use for VMS.  But to do this
we need to tie up one of our eagles.  And we're tight on disk space.
(who isn't?)

I've installed a boot program provided by Dec which makes the updates
to the microcode.  (Loads the file "/pcs750.bin" and patches it into
the microcode).

I have a Vax architecture reference manual.  But the only thing it has
about WCS registers is for the -780.

I have the tu58 tape the Dec man used to patch vms to load the floating
point.  He gave me an algorithm to use to read the contents of that
tape and get them to Unix.

So.  Do I have enough information?  Has anybody had any experience with
this kind of thing?

--
David Herron
ARPA-> ukma!david<@ANL-MCS> or david%ukma.uucp@anl-mcs.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 3 Apr 85 21:35:07 GMT
From: eichelbe@NADC
Subject: Need info on a VAX synchronous controller driver.

   Hi, all you wizards out there!
   Does anyone out there know of a driver for a VAX 11/780 DUP11 synchronous
controller board?  How about for any other VAX synchronous controller board?

   I have a VAX 11/780 under 4.1 BSD UNIX (yeah, I know I should be at 4.2 by
now) and can write the C code to use the driver, but I would not really be
able to write the driver without more time and who wants to re-invent the
wheel if there is already a set of white walls in the garage?

   I think there is some survey somewhere of drivers available.  Is this
true?  Could someone point me to it or send me a copy, please?

   We are not necessarily looking for a freebee here.  We are willing to
pay for the driver.  So any companies reading this, feel free to answer!

  Anybody who thinks they can help, please address your mail to this
username: eichelbe@NADC
   Thanks.
		Jon Eichelberger
		NADC

------------------------------

Date: 13 Apr 85 05:42:46 GMT
From: boone@mmm.UUCP (David E. Boone)
Subject: Problems with SI disk drives

Hello. I supervise a Vax 780 system running BSD4.2.
Our disk drives consist of 3 SI 9766 (rm05 equivalents) and a si
9900 controller. we are utilizing the si suplied disk driver
but otherwise our system is "off the tape".

Periodically, our system just freezes. Until recently we fixed
by rebooting. The other day someone tried hitting the controller
reset switch. Lo and behold the disk driver initialized and the
system picked up exactly where it left off. No user lost as much
as a key stroke.

can anyone explain this behavior?

please no flames about the 9766. they were purchsed for political
reasons and they are soon on the way out the door in favor of eagles.
(but the 9900 stays.)

------------------------------

Date: 5 Apr 85 01:53:16 GMT
From: diamant@wanginst.UUCP (Ira Diamant)
Subject: question on sed

	All right, I give up. How to I get sed to insert newlines into text?
Right now, I am performing the following trick in my makefile:

	echo $(OBJECTS) | sed  -e "s/\.o/\.o^X/g" | tr '^X' '\012'

where $(OBJECTS) is a list of c objects on a single line.

This is very slow and it seems plain stupid to have to do this.

Any suggestions?

------------------------------

Date: 3 Apr 85 17:36:26 GMT
From: rusty@sdcarl.UUCP (rusty c. wright)
Subject: S on sun workstations

I'm trying to bring S up on a sun workstation and the RUN.S
executable bombs immediately.  My guess is that it is a null
pointer problem.  Does anybody have the fixes for S so that
it can be used on sun workstations?
--
rusty c. wright
{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!rusty

End of Unix Technical Digest
--
Ronald W. Heiby / ihnp4!{wnuxa!heiby|wnuxb!netnews}
AT&T Information Systems, Inc.