Date: Thu, 25 Apr 85 20:24:23 GMT
From: Ron Heiby (The Moderator) <unix-request@cbosgd.UUCP>
Subject: Administrivia

A couple of days ago I put a stongly worded message into net.unix and into
net.unix-wizards which asked why nobode was submitting anything to mod.unix.
I have received three responses (so far) saying that they had submitted and
were surprised that they had never seen their item in a digest.  Here they
are.  There seems to be some problem with the forwarding from cbosgd (which
surprises me).  We are trying to track it down.  In the mean time, you can
mail your submissions to me at ihnp4!wnuxb!netnews.  Please note at the top
that it is a submission for mod.unix and try to give me a "Subject" header
line, even if your mailer doesn't support same.  If you don't suggest a
subject, you get what you get.  Sorry for this confusion.  Maybe there is
hope.  Thanks.  Ron.

------------------------------

Date: Wed Apr 24 13:15 CST 1985
From: ihu1m!gpw
Subject: Help with 11/70 floppy and PDP-15 assembly

1) We have an 11/70 running Sys. V and wish to use the 8" floppy
that comes with this system (rxo1 rx02). Problem, no drivers
or formatters for this drive.

2) We would also like to investigate moving some PDP-15 assembler
programs on our 11/70. Problem, no pointers to cross compilers under
unix, and we have no experience of running programs in this way within
the unix environment.

If you have a driver send it, we like mail.
If you can help in any way, thanks

--
George Wilkin AT&T Network Systems
979-2112 IH MAIN

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 85 11:32:40 est
From: allegra!phri!roy (Roy Smith)
Subject: malloc/calloc and portable software?

	Based on the manual, it's safe to mix calls to malloc and calloc
in the same program (on 4.2 bsd).  Actually, looking at the source,
calloc simply calls malloc after some playing with the arguments, so it
is hard to imagine how you could get into trouble here.

	The question is: does it hold that calls to {c,m,re}alloc can be
safely intermixed on other Unix systems (S5, 4.1, v7, whatever).  I seem
to remember getting into trouble with stuff like this on v6.

	This came up because a subroutine library I wrote a while ago
uses malloc.  Now, I am writing a new program using that same library
which needs to do its own memory allocation unrelated to that done by
the library routines.  Do I need to worry about not mixing calls to
calloc/cfree in main and malloc/free in the library routines to keep it
portable?

--
cmcl2!rocky2!cubsvax -\
       vax135!timeinc -> !phri!roy (Roy Smith, System Administrator)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 85 14:16:01 BST
From: ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!mcvax!has@ukc.ac.uk
Subject: Need CTS/RTS handshake driver for DZ11

    I have a BBC Micro connected to a VAX 750 running 4.2BSD via a DZ11 line
and  have been  looking for a  driver that  will handle the CTS/RTS protocol
instead  of ^S/^Q.  This is so I can send  data to and  from the VAX without
the  VAX internal  buffers overflowing.  The 25 way  plug into the DZ11 does
have pins  for CTS and RTS  but when connected  nothing  happens.  The local
people  cannot help and I do not have the knowledge to write my own.  I have
heard that 4.2BSD comes  with all manner of device drivers and this seems to
be an omission.  Can anybody please help since at the moment I am reduced to
slowing the line  to 1200 baud and  delaying  several  milliseconds  between
sending bytes  of the data.  When  the machine is busy  it still crashes and
logs me out.

--
Howard Shaw	ukc!has
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Group., Physics Laboratory.

End of Unix Technical Digest
--
Ronald W. Heiby / netnews@wnuxb.UUCP | unix-request@cbosgd.UUCP
AT&T Information Systems, Inc., Lisle, IL  (CU-D21)