Date: Wed,  5 Jun 85 18:46:13 GMT
From: Ron Heiby (The Moderator) <unix-request@cbosgd.UUCP>
Subject: Administrivia

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the suggestions for improvement.
I'll be studying those more closely over the next few days.  It hadn't
occurred to me that it was end of term at many institutions of higher learning.
Guess that means I've been away from it too long.  There will be a hiatus in
mod.unix during the week of June 10, as I will be in Portland at the Usenix
Conference.  I've also been drafted to work the show floor in the AT&T booth.
We're planning on showing some of the new things that are being done with Unix
in the Labs, so it should be fun.  Stop by and say hi.  Ron.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 85 14:53:42 edt
From: ihnp4!seismo!rochester!ritcv!sysman (C)
Subject: 4.2BSD quota / phantom disk allocations

	We are using the 4.2BSD quota system and are experiencing
a problem with phantom disk allocations.  We grant students a 10
block quota with a limit of 0 on /usr.  Every so often, the quota
system gets confused, and records that a given user has several disk
blocks allocated on /usr, but no files allocated.  A search of the
/usr file system shows that there are in fact no files owned by that
user.
	As of yet, we have not been able to nail down any correlation
between the phantom disk blocks and use of any utilities such as lpr,
mail, uucp or rcp.
	I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience
with the quota system.  Any hints, ideas or fixes for this problem will
be much appreciated.

	-Steve Valentine
	-Rochester Institute of Technology
	-{allegra|siesmo}!rochester!ritcv!sysman

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Jun 85 15:30:31 pdt
From: dual!decwrl!powell (Michael L. Powell)
Subject: > 8 Mb real memory on 4.2?

We have a 785 with 16 Mb of real memory, but 4.2 is set up to use at most 8 Mb.
E.g., there are some 13-bit fields in struct cmap that must get larger.  Does
anyone have a list of changes that are necessary?
--
Michael L. Powell, Digital Equipment Corporation
Western Research Laboratory

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 85 16:15:09 pdt
From: ihnp4!uw-beaver!entropy!hubert (Steve Hubert)
Subject: How do I do interleaved mem on a 780?

I would like to use interleaved memory accesses on a VAX 785 with
4 or 6 MB of memory and two M8375 controllers.  If I look in the
hardware manual it mentions an interleave bit which has to be
turned on.  I need to know how to turn it on.

The Installing/Operating article mentions interleaved memory in
section 4.1 but just says you will have to change restar.cmd
and defboo.cmd to make it work.  Could somebody please tell me
what changes I have to make there?  If it matters, we have 3 RA81
drives on a single UDA.  DMFs, DZs, TU80, no massbus.

Steve Hubert
 Dept. of Stat., U. of Wash, Seattle
 {decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax!lbl-csam}!uw-beaver!entropy!hubert
 hubert%entropy@uw-beaver

End of Unix Technical Digest
--
Ronald W. Heiby / netnews@wnuxb.UUCP | unix-request@cbosgd.UUCP
AT&T Information Systems, Inc., Lisle, IL  (CU-D21)