[net.sources.games] Distributing the ZORK sources

waters@karnac.DEC (Lester Waters PCSG) (11/06/85)

	I have ZORK sources (in Fortran). At one point, they were
available from the DECUS library. They do have a copyright notice
by Infocom.  I'll contact DECUS to see if they can be distributed
(after all, they distributed it at no charge other than a media fee).
The demand seems to warrant the distribution of the sources
(if all legality checks out), but be prepared for a number of
modules. If I remember correctly, there is about 700Kb in code
and data.

			Lester Waters
			...!decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-viking!waters
			Waters%VIKING.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (0058) (11/06/85)

Over and over, we see the same problem:  Somebody posts a game.
Nobody gets all of it.  Many states get none of it.  Thus, for
three weeks, the net is full of 600 megs of hack beng shuffled
around at 1200 baud all over the world.

I propose a solution:  chain tapes.  I will initiate sending the
tape.  I send it to site one, who reads it and sends it to the
person I designate as site two, who sends it to site three, etc.

As long as we're at it, I will throw in all the stuff I have
that I believe is public, such as midway, mille, hack, battlestar,
etc.  Peole who have goodies, local games, etc. should ad them to
the tape.

Interested parties, parties with the zork sources, etc. should
contact me.

		Lord Kahless

		{ihnp4!ucbvax,lll-crg,dual}!ucdavis!vega!ccrdave

ramsay@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC440) (11/11/85)

In article <251@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (0058) writes:
>Over and over, we see the same problem:  Somebody posts a game.
>Nobody gets all of it.  Many states get none of it.  Thus, for
>three weeks, the net is full of 600 megs of hack beng shuffled
>around at 1200 baud all over the world.
>
>I propose a solution:  chain tapes.  I will initiate sending the
>tape.  I send it to site one, who reads it and sends it to the
>person I designate as site two, who sends it to site three, etc.
>
>		Lord Kahless

Be careful, though. If you break the chain, dire things will happen.
I knew one man who broke the chain, and three days later, the listings
of sf-lovers fell on his head and killed him... :-)

				R. Ramsay

<And sneaking along last...>

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (11/12/85)

In article <251@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (0058) writes:
>Over and over, we see the same problem:  Somebody posts a game.
>Nobody gets all of it.  Many states get none of it.  Thus, for
>three weeks, the net is full of 600 megs of hack beng shuffled
>around at 1200 baud all over the world.
>
>I propose a solution:  chain tapes.  I will initiate sending the
>tape.  I send it to site one, who reads it and sends it to the
>person I designate as site two, who sends it to site three, etc.

OK, let's see.  2000+ sites.  Let's be optimistic and say that
only 300 want it and can't get it from a nearby site.  Let's be
unbelievably optimistic and say that everyone who gets the tape
processes it the same day and sends it back out the same day.
Let's imagine a postal service that can get the tape anywhere in
an average time of 4 days (including local company mail delays,
BTW).  We now have:

300 sites * 4 days = 1200 days     -or-   roughly 3.5 years.

Don't think so.

I am on the backbone, I *always* get everything unless it is scrogged
at the very source.  I promise to save Zork in its entirety, and
I will endeavor to get it to you by hook or crook if you miss any part
of it -- you need only mail to me at one of the addresses below (after
trying your local neighbors, of course).

I also intend to blackmail people into compiling compress V4.0 on their
system so I can send them compress'd source -- this should also help
to spread compress around the net a little and encourage its use to
reduce uucp phone bills on direct shipments of source and binary.
I will not, of course, turn you down if you refuse to take compress,
but I'll be in a much better mood about it if you do.

Here's hoping [imagining] that no one will miss any of Zork,
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj