[net.sources.games] Hack 1.0.3 source -=+*DOES*+=- exist!

kyrimis@tilt.FUN (Kriton Kyrimis) (11/12/85)

In article <648@bbnccv.UUCP> ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) writes:
>In article <939@cvl.UUCP> eli@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) writes:
>I'm convinced that version 1.0.3 of Hack is just a hoax!  The last posting
>was 1.0.2 back in April, and there hasn't been any full source posting since.
> . . .
>
>To he who posted the 1.0.3 patches a few months ago:  Save your flames...
>Yes I did see them, but after trying to implement all the patches that had
>been posted previously to fix this little bug and that, I had little success
>making the upgrade.  So I, as well as many others, decided to wait for a full
>distribution, rather than hacking up my Hack any further.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but here at Princeton we're  running
hack  1.0.3,  including some later patches that people made to it
and posted to the net.  The problem with the  1.0.3  diffs  is  a
compound one:

Hack 1.0.2 came in 10 parts, the 10th of which was an ed  script,
to  do some last-minute patches.  Hack 1.0.3 was simply a huge ed
script that upgraded the old version to the new one.

The problem is, that ed scripts contain *lots* of lines that con-
tain  a  single  ".".  This kind of lines, however, confuses most
mailers, with unpredictable results (in most cases, the remaining
text  is  simply  ignored). Therefore, a lot of people don't even
have the correct version of hack  1.0.2,  and  can't  upgrade  to
1.0.3 even if they *do* have the correct patches (which is rather
unlikely in their case). I'm afraid I can't post or mail the hack
sources,  since I'm already taxing our University's phone bill. I
suggest you check out that  posting  in  net.sources.games  about
chain reels. This is how I got *my* version.

As far as hack's author is concerned,  he  did  mention  that  he
would  be  off  the  net  for  about a year, and that's why there
hasn't been any new release.  Be patient. When he comes back, I'm
sure he'll have a lot of goodies for us!
--

	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)
------