[net.sources.games] rogue clone compile problem

wei@princeton.UUCP (P Wei) (03/04/86)

I had problem compiling the recent rogue clone.
With the supplied make, I met problem at play.c in line 84,100 and 155
where line 84 is case ' ': so is line 100, line 155 is }.
Anyone got working copy of play.c ?
Any bug in other *.c ?
Please mail me correct play.c and other changes.
HP Wei (wei@princeton)

wca@ut-ngp.UUCP (William C. Anderson) (03/05/86)

The changes I've made to the rogue clone are in play.c and pack.c.
These changes fix a compile-time bug in play.c and a runtime bug (sorta)
in pack.c.  The play.c changes are:

(lines 81-105)
                case 'd':
                        drop();
                        break;
/* CHANGE */    case '^P':
                        remessage();
                        break;
                case '>':
                        if (check_down()) {
                                return;
                        }
                        break;
                case '<':
                        if (check_up()) {
                                return;
                        }
                        break;
                case 'I':
                        single_inventory();
                        break;
/* CHANGE */    case '^R':
                        wrefresh(curscr);
                        break;
                case 'T':
                        take_off();
                        break;

Note that these added case switch chars (cntrl-P and cntrl-R) make Clone
play like rogue 5.3.

The change in pack.c is:

(lines 206-221)

get_pack_letter(prompt, mask)
char *prompt;
unsigned short mask;
{
        short first_miss = 1;
        short ch;

        message(prompt, 0);  /* ADD THIS LINE */
        while (!is_pack_letter(ch = getchar())) {
                putchar(7);
                fflush(stdout);
                if (first_miss) {
WHICH:                  message(prompt, 0);
                        first_miss = 0;
                }
        }

This change corrects a tendency of Clone to be a bit too terse when
handling commands which require another keystroke (e.g. t(hrow),
p(ut on), w(ield), etc.).

William Anderson
Computation Center
The University of Texas at Austin

chas@gtss.UUCP (03/05/86)

In article <1256@princeton.UUCP> wei@princeton.UUCP (P Wei) writes:
>I had problem compiling the recent rogue clone.
>With the supplied make, I met problem at play.c in line 84,100 and 155
>where line 84 is case ' ': so is line 100, line 155 is }.
>Anyone got working copy of play.c ?
>Any bug in other *.c ?
>Please mail me correct play.c and other changes.
>HP Wei (wei@princeton)

I suspect that these were control characters eaten by something on the
net.  (I got them as null strings instead of spaces.)  The best solution
may be for the author to simply tell us what they were supposed to be,
lest they simply get eaten again.

After substituting letters of my own choosing for the missing ones, everything
worked OK except for the nonexistence of a directory called /usr1/tim or
somesuch.
--
Charles Cleveland			 Georgia Tech Surface Studies
Georgia Tech School of Physics