[net.sources.games] multi-player unix games

lmm@labsms.UUCP (04/12/86)

<<is there really such a thing as a line eater??>>

Are there other multi-player computer game fanatics out there besides me??

Has anybody else played MEGAWARS on compuserve?? (I guess it's a
derivitive of DECWARS which I've never played)

Megawars is a multi-player real-time space shoot-em-up game similar
to star trek. It consists of 2 teams with up to 5 players on each team
(10 players playing for control of the galaxy)

I play MEGAWARS on compuserve, and I have to say it's kind of
addicting.  Something about the fact that you are playing against
other humans rather than just a computer has an appeal to me.
BUT: there are two problem with playing games on compuserve
	1. It's expensive
	2. I hate 300 baud, but it's even more expensive at 1200 baud.

Question: Is there similar games available for UNIX SYS 5 REL 2 ???

Weve got a game called 'search' on our unix machine, which is suppossed to
be a multi-player curses-driven real-time game, but to tell you the
truth, I've never been able to figure out what it's doing. We don't
have any documentation on it, and It seems kindof buggy. And I haven't
taken the time to find the source and intrepret it.

Is there anyone out there in net land that has documentation/rules for
search - - - or a newer version??

I did see some source for search in net.sources.games but I didn't see
part 1 (only parts 2-4) - - Could someone send part1 to me?

I also heard mention of a game called 'multitrek' Is this similar?

(labsms!lmm)
Larry McWilliams
AT&T, Oklahoma City Works

       ihnp4
            \
uokvax!occrsh!labsms!lmm
            /
       inuxc

lmm@labsms.UUCP (04/14/86)

This is me (lmm) again, I thought of something else

I also remember seeing a while back a multi-player space-type game on a
VAX called 'GALAXY' (i think that was the name anyway).  The machine didn't
actually have the game on it (or it was locked up) - - But you could read
the documentation on it. - - It sounded fascinating! - - I wish I would of
kept a hardcopy of it.

My question:

Is anybody familiar with the program I'm talking about? - - I would like to
find some of the documentation (on-line help files or something) about this
game.

I've started writing a combination 'megawars/multitrek/galaxy' type game
for Unix, and am looking for all sorts of ideas. - - Any help (ideas,
suggestions, etc) would be appreciated.

Does anyone else have comments about available multi-player Unix games?
Has anybody else out there tried to write one?

Larry McWilliams
ihnp4!labsms!lmm

geoff@desint.UUCP (04/21/86)

[for net.sources.d readers, Larry McWilliams brought up the subject of
[MegaWars (nee DECwars) on Compuserve;  he's looking for ideas for a new
[multi-player game similar to MegaWars that he's writing].

I've played DECwars on Compuserve;  I gave it up because I couldn't
afford the $300/month I was spending on connect charges.  It was very
addictive, and was undoubtedly the best computer game I've ever played
(though I'm not sure I would have felt that way had I mastered it
better).

There is also a widely-distributed game called 'Empire';  I've heard of
it but never played.  It's a multi-player version of the "run your own
kingdom" games that kick around.  When you build your kingdom big
enough, you can form alliances with other players and nuke opponents.

(Ganging up on people, and general team play, was one of the truly great
things about DECwars.  You could really equalize things against an
experienced player, and the experts generally welcomed the challenge
of, Rambo-like, taking on a whole passel of incompetent opponents
simultaneously and summarily dispatching them all.)

BTW, I've redirected followups to this to net.sources.d, which is where I
think they belong.
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	{hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!desint!geoff

hand@ncsu.UUCP (Steven Hand) (04/29/86)

----
I played a similar game (multitrek?) in the summer of '80.  It was basically
a multi-player Star Trek and we were addicted to it, too.   One neat thing about
it was that your stats (maximum shield energy, maximum phaser energy, etc.)
increased with experience and surviving battles.

Which leads to a story...  After several weeks of battling, we thought
we were pretty good, until some new user appeared and systematically wiped us
out.  He was incredible, and would typically hyperwarp right beside you, out
of nowhere, and hit you DIRECTLY with massive ammounts of energy (the units
were "stroms") -- then he would be gone before you could fire back (if you
were lucky enough to survive).  We even tried to gang up on him but it didn't
work, and it was a mystery as we didn't know where he was logging in, and
no one had actually seen him.  It turned out this was a graduate student who
was dialing in from his Apple computer, which he had programmed into a
*battle computer*.  It calculated the distances and angles, I suppose, and
also helped to enter commands faster (very important in a toe-to-toe battle).
I never met him.

I have always liked multi-user games, and think there is a lot of potential
for networked microcomputers, with their graphics screens.  Imagine something
like Star Raiders (Atari) or a flight simulator, with interactive dogfights.
Or something like the arcade Star Trek game, with each ship having its own
view of what's going on outside.  With the appropriate protocols,
communication could be kept minimal while preserving realistic movement
(e.g. send a message only when taking a specific action, like changing
speed or acceleration, or firing a shot.).

Steve Hand	         decvax!mcnc!ncsu!hand
Box 7911
NC State Univ.           (919) 737-2336 ext. 34
Raleigh, NC 27695        (919) 834-4375

acy@abic.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) (05/06/86)

> I have always liked multi-user games, and think there is a lot of potential
> for networked microcomputers, with their graphics screens.  Imagine something
> like Star Raiders (Atari) or a flight simulator, with interactive dogfights.
> Or something like the arcade Star Trek game, with each ship having its own
> view of what's going on outside.  With the appropriate protocols,
> communication could be kept minimal while preserving realistic movement
> (e.g. send a message only when taking a specific action, like changing
> speed or acceleration, or firing a shot.).
>
> Steve Hand	         decvax!mcnc!ncsu!hand

	I think Sun has a dog fight program which runs on a cluster
of networked Sun workstations.  You can choose any plane from a
WWI tri-plane to an F-16.  (You'ld be surprised how hard it is to hit
a tri-plane when going Mach-3!  They just sit over your airport
and bomb it to bits!)
--

		At least that's the way I see it,

		Adnan Yaqub @ Allen-Bradley Company Inc.
		Industrial Computer Division
		747 Alpha Drive, Highland Heights, OH 44143
		...!{attunix,decvax,masscomp,pyramid,cwruecmp}!abic!acy
		(216) 449-6700 x4659

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (05/24/86)

In article <773@abic.UUCP> acy@abic.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) writes:
>	I think Sun has a dog fight program which runs on a cluster
>of networked Sun workstations.  You can choose any plane from a
>WWI tri-plane to an F-16.

Try again. Silicon Graphics, Inc, runs this on their Iris(tm) workstations.
You can also dogfight in a Piper Cub, if you want....

<csg>