[net.sf-lovers] Clarke's _Imperial_Earth_: A question

acm@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/10/86)

I was re-reading Arthur C. Clarke's _Imperial_Earth_ and I have a question
about the ending.  After Duncan returns back to Titan, the child-clone is
fair-skinned and blonde.  Does this mean that he had Karl cloned or, somehow,
when they "fixed" his genetic defects, this made the child caucasian and
blonde?   Comments?

David Lee

acm@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/10/86)

In article <8838@ucla-cs.ARPA> Assoc for Computing Machinery  <acm> writes:
>I was re-reading Arthur C. Clarke's _Imperial_Earth_ and I have a question
>about the ending.  After Duncan returns back to Titan, the child-clone is
>fair-skinned and blonde.  Does this mean that he had Karl cloned or, somehow,
>when they "fixed" his genetic defects, this made the child caucasian and
>blonde?   Comments?
>
>David Lee

  No matter what the answer may be, a better question (and I guess, my
real question) is why did he do what he did?

David Lee

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (02/11/86)

In article <8838@ucla-cs.ARPA> acm@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
>I was re-reading Arthur C. Clarke's _Imperial_Earth_ and I have a question
>about the ending.  After Duncan returns back to Titan, the child-clone is
>fair-skinned and blonde.  Does this mean that he had Karl cloned or, somehow,
>when they "fixed" his genetic defects, this made the child caucasian and
>blonde?   Comments?
>
>David Lee

*I* thought it meant that -- while fixing the genetic defects -- Duncan
had the kid's hair and skin color changed as a tribute to Karl, his
once-upon-a-time true love.  Not *caused by* fixed the defects, simply
in addition to.

Interesting enough (at least for me) I just noticed the other day that
there is a black astrophysicist is Fall of Moondust named Duncan
MacKenzie  (spelling errors excepted.)
--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

lmc@cisden.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) (02/13/86)

> I was re-reading Arthur C. Clarke's _Imperial_Earth_ and I have a question
> about the ending.  After Duncan returns back to Titan, the child-clone is
> fair-skinned and blonde.  Does this mean that he had Karl cloned or, somehow,
> when they "fixed" his genetic defects, this made the child caucasian and
> blonde?   Comments?

He had Karl cloned.  At the beginning of Chapter 42 the doctor comments
that he was glad that Duncan had finally made his decision. "The --ah--
delay has caused certain problems..." certainly refers to the length of
time following Karl's death. Part of taking the "wider view" that is
mentioned is the determination that strict heredity lineage wasn't helping
Titan solve its problems, that some change was required...