[net.sf-lovers] "Brokedown Palace" by Steven Brust

mnelling@watdcsu.UUCP (Mark Ellingham [C and O]) (12/17/85)

	I just picked up a copy of Steven Brust's latest novel,
"Brokedown Palace."  It's published by Ace and costs $3.50 in Canada,
$2.95 in the U.S.A.  The printing date inside says January 1986.
I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but here's what the blurb on
the back says:

	"Once upon a time there were four brothers who ruled the
land of Fenario:
	King Laszlo, a good man - though perhaps a little mad;
	Prince Andre, a clever man - though perhaps a little shallow;
	Prince Vilmos, a strong man - though perhaps a little stupid;
	Prince Miklos, the youngest brother, perhaps a little - no, a
		lot - stubborn.

	"Once upon a time there were four brothers - and a goddess, a
wizard, an enigmatic talking stallion, a very hungry dragon - and a
crumbling Brokedown Palace on the banks of the River of Faerie ..."

	Just thought I'd let all the SKZB fans out there know.
This sounds like it might be a lot of fun to read.

	Mark Ellingham (...{ihnp4|decvax|utzoo}!watmath!watdcsu!mnelling)

gwe@cbdkc1.UUCP ( George Erhart x4021 CB 3D288 WDS ) (12/17/85)

In article <1978@watdcsu.UUCP> mnelling@watdcsu.UUCP (Mark Ellingham [C and O]) writes:
>	"Once upon a time there were four brothers who ruled the
>land of Fenario:
>	King Laszlo, a good man - though perhaps a little mad;
>	Prince Andre, a clever man - though perhaps a little shallow;
               ^^^^^
>	Prince Vilmos, a strong man - though perhaps a little stupid;
>	Prince Miklos, the youngest brother, perhaps a little - no, a
>		lot - stubborn.
>
>	"Once upon a time there were four brothers - and a goddess, a
>wizard, an enigmatic talking stallion, a very hungry dragon - and a
>crumbling Brokedown Palace on the banks of the River of Faerie ..."
>
>	Just thought I'd let all the SKZB fans out there know.
>This sounds like it might be a lot of fun to read.
>
>	Mark Ellingham (...{ihnp4|decvax|utzoo}!watmath!watdcsu!mnelling)

I read this book this past weekend and found it to be delightful reading,
however it is interesting to note that the back cover has a prince Andre
listed with the character's name in the book is prince Andor. I always
love to see how much the publisher pays attention to the fine details.

I was also glad to see that the price of this book was kept reasonable,
I really hate to pay more then $3.50 for a paperback.

--
George Erhart at AT&T Bell Laboratories Columbus, Ohio
614-860-4021 {ihnp4,cbosgd}!cbdkc1!gwe

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (12/18/85)

This is the novel that SKZB was talking about some months ago that is
more-or-less set in Hungary.
--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

[C and O]) writes:

> [...] here's what the blurb on the back says: [...]
>	Prince Andre, a clever man - though perhaps a little shallow;

That is indeed what the cover says; but it should say Andor, not
Andre.  Alas, proofreading!
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (12/20/85)

> 	I just picked up a copy of Steven Brust's latest novel,
> "Brokedown Palace."  It's published by Ace and costs $3.50 in Canada,
> $2.95 in the U.S.A.  The printing date inside says January 1986.
> I haven't had a chance to read it yet

I read it.  I recommend it.  It's quite good.  (Sadly however, it is my
least favorite of the four Brust books I've read so far.)

I do note that the cover blurb is incorrect, where it says

>	Prince Andre, a clever man - though perhaps a little shallow;

The character's name is "Andros". This caused me some confusion, since
there was this brother not mentioned on the cover, and a brother
mentioned on the cover I kept waiting to come out of the wings.

There are also zillions of hooks by which to hang other tales, and some
possibility that this universe co-exists with Vlad's.  I hope to read
more about it.

dave@quest.UUCP (David Messer) (01/26/86)

> Someone said a while ago that he/she thought that BP was in the pre-history
> of Yendi and Jhereg but I think if anything, it's post these two since
> Devera appears now as a real person but the last time we saw her she "hadn't

Devera gets around.  I expect she will be poping up in all sorts of
unexpected places in future Brust books.

> been born yet". Someone else thought that Jhereg and Yendi were set in
> Fairie since BP was in a land "east of Fairie" and concluded that this was
> the land that humans lived in Jhereg and Yendi. However there is no evidence
> of Witchcraft in BP....so unless Fairie is also part of the human lands
> ( where there is Witchcraft or is it sorcery? I'm not sure what the
> difference is ) then there seems to be an inconsistancy....something I don't
> expect from Brust. I don't really know what any of this means.....

I don't expect inconsistancy from Brust either.  Just because humans
use witchcraft doesn't mean all humans use it.  Also, if you check
carefully, I think you will find that there is some witchcraft in BP.

Another thing that might be interesting is to check out the description
if Miklos when he returns from Fairie.

--

David Messer   UUCP:  ...ihnp4!quest!dave
                      ...ihnp4!encore!vaxine!spark!14!415!sysop

brust@starfire.UUCP (Steven K. Zoltan Brust) (02/09/86)

> In my view BP is a myth - there is a lot more underlying structure and
> predetermination than in the normal fairy tale. As in most myths (and many
> classic drammas) characters are bound to fullfil their roles and, willingly or
> not, they comply... And YES, Brust has pulled it of quite well! He is getting
> better with every book.....

Interesting.  And thanks.
Your comments on witchcraft are pretty close to whaht
I had in mind, too.

		skzb

brust@starfire.UUCP (Steven K. Zoltan Brust) (02/13/86)

> Devera gets around.  I expect she will be poping up in all sorts of
> unexpected places in future Brust books.

Well, four for four so far...

I can answer most of these questions (I hope); do people
want me to?  (If so, I will post a spoiler warning.)

I'm quite flattered that there has been so much discussion
of the book.
			skzb