[net.sources.games] LARN Version 12 Distribution

jim@bu-cs.BU.EDU (James D. McNamara) (08/10/86)

In article <1292@condor.UUCP> noah@condor.UUCP (Noah Morgan) writes:
|Larn, version 12.0 is now being posted to the net.

|James D. McNamara (harvard!bu-cs!jim) has volunteered to keep organized
|any bugs and patches that larn may need.  Bug reports, source or patch
|requests can be directed to Jim or myself (panda!condor!noah), and we'll try
|to respond promptly.
|
|Thanks to all of you who helped out in describing problems, and for the ideas

TO LARN INSTALLERS ON MY MAILING-LIST:

You have *not* heard from me lately--this was in anticipation of the NEW
Larn 12.0, which is now here!  Frankly, I dropped a few of the source
files on the floor, started in a new position (Project Team 9 months
behind schedule), and had to schlock-off Larn for a few weeks.  BUT, Noah
came out with 12.0 right on schedule (hat's off), and I am mentally
prepared to resume distribution to those who can't get it from the net.

NOTE: I had a few new requests come in within past 5 weeks that I have
absolutely *not* gotten around to responding to.  Appologies, but I will
put you on my new list.  (I will send out a distribution test in a week,
and will take distribution requests after that.)

REGARDING BUG FIXES:

My primary interest in Larn 12.0 is to assemble bug-reports from Larn
installers (and players).  These have been forwarded to Noah, and most
of the grousing I received from youse guys has been FIXED in 12.0--
so there!

POSSIBLE BUG IN "SH LARN.P6" (Version 12.0):

SH'ing the NEW part6 gave an unexpected shar eof on the first run here
at bu-cs.  The part6 file (size 51 under Sun Unix 4.2BSD) was truncated
to size 8.  This was caused by our new version of EMACS at bu-cs.

When emacs was used to slice off the headers from the net.sources.games
distribution, it decided to lunch most of the file upon saving (both
C-X C-S "save" *and* C-X C-W "write").  This annoying "feature" of our
happy new editor was circumvented by changing the editor "mode" from
"Fundamental" to "Lisp" (M-X lisp-mode).  Why Lisp?  Idunno, but hey,
it worked... so there!

TO MY CURRENT CORRESPONDENTS WAITING FOR LARN:

Please be patient.  I'm going to try to update my mailing list and
reach all of you; I will ask if you want the Larn 12.0.  I will no
longer be distributing *any* Larn 11.0 sources, and I don't see the
point of worrying about bug-fixes for it, but I will accept bug
reports from Version 11.0 if you insist.

			  ___	Price of Jems (alias Jim McNamara)
			 /$  \	...harvard!bu-cs!jim
			 \   /	Appraising in Boston, MA.
			  \ /

USNAIL: James D. McNamara
        P.O. Box 400 Kenmore Station
        Boston, MA 02215-9986

James D. McNamara                    CSNET:   jim@bu-cs
                                     ARPANET: jim%bu-cs@csnet-relay
"Hacking Late Night                  UUCP:    ...harvard!bu-cs!jim
 With David Letterman"               BITNET:  jim%bu-cs%csnet-relay.arpa@wiscvm

vallury@dartvax.UUCP (Vallury Prabhakar) (08/14/86)

In article <1028@bucsd.bu-cs.BU.EDU> jim@bucsd.UUCP (James D. McNamara) writes:

>REGARDING BUG FIXES:
>
>My primary interest in Larn 12.0 is to assemble bug-reports from Larn
>installers (and players).  These have been forwarded to Noah, and most
>of the grousing I received from youse guys has been FIXED in 12.0--

This isn't necessarily in response to the above mail, but it seems as good a
time as any to point out one interesting experience that I've been having with
Larn (11.0 or 12.0).

The thing is this.  I normally use either a VT220 or a terminal emulator like
the VERSATERM-PRO on the Macintosh to play larn.  And have discovered that
one may easily overcome the dilemma or whether or not to give money at the
altars.  I'm not overly ambitious of being heard, especially at the risk of
creating an inconvenient demon-lord or any monster for that matter, when I'm
not ready for 'em.  At the same time, I have no intentions of giving away most
of my gold for this purpose, greedy capitalist swine that I am.  So I have
found this rather convenient way (bug??) of avoiding the whole situation.

When I have to pass across and altar, I first indicate that I want to pray.
However when I'm asked whether I want to give money or just pray, I simply
use the escape key (F11 on the vt220 or ^[ on the mac) which simply puts
my cursor back in the maze as if nothing happened, and I go scot-free.

Maybe I shouldn't have written this.  But hey, one gets bored of reaching level
100 every once so often, so here I am.  I don't know if this little blessing
in disguise could be rectified to make the game of larn, the cold-blooded,
cruel and brilliant creation of evil master NM even more interesting.  Hope it
does. Bye for now.

Note: Date a wraith !!! They're fun...and they drain you in the process too..!!