[net.sources.games] ATC: a shell escape discussion

edjames@ic.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (01/19/87)

In article <7430@cuae2.ATT.COM> djmolny@cuae2.UUCP (-DJ Molny) writes:
>If the shell escape feature is offensive to many players, it could
>be surrounded by an ifdef.  Comments, please?

My original version cleared the screen on suspension.  Maybe I'll
put that back.  Also, I would prefer that all the features were
in all the versions (ie, only one version) of ATC.  It just makes
things more consistent.

	"I got 45 planes safe in ATC yesterday."
	"Oh yah, I've been playing the same game for a month and I have 46!"

							Sheesh!
							--ed

Ps:  All people with:

	- suggestions
	- improvements
	- new playfields (original, not just hacked "default" games)
	- mods
	- hacks
	- etc

    should mail them to me so I can prepare a new release.  So far
    reported improvements/bugs include:

	- sorted planes
	- shell escape / suspension
	- fixing of a circle bug ('R' when going west causes circle)
	- planes crashing at airports (bug instilled by sorted fix)
	- SysV mods (hopefully to be made abstract [I haven't looked yet])
	- real time not saved in scorefile right
	- document fixes (erase backs up, kill aborts command, return updates)
	- t <numerical> is unimplemented?
	- option to turn off noise
	- Makefile fixes (don't run make as root!)
	- sigmask macro now included (free!)
	- ^L shuts down the interrupts while it redraws
	- options to alter game speed and plane freq but no score recorded
	- updated scores are sorted by safe_planes (to be consistent :-)
	- core dump on "turn toward exit" on 3B20.  Haven't found this one.
	- > 8 char login name support (non-standards deserve what they get :-)
	- < 15 char path name support (welcome to the dark ages)
	- mountains && differing ground altitudes (just toying with this)

rk9005@ucsfcca.UUCP (01/23/87)

I think all of these ideas are good.
Two things that I have put in:
	1) beep when new planes arrive (useful @ 1200bps when the going's slow)
	2) turn towards
		a) airport #
		b) destination (automatically figures airport/exit #)

More ideas:
	1) about suspending/escaping, how about a cmd line flag?
	2) at cmds stack up (i.e. turn to 90 @ b0 [90 from b0 heads to b3],
				45 @ b3)
	3) compute towards cmds when executed for @ cmds (i.e. if e2
		is 45 from current position, but 90 from b0 & we say
		"turn towards exit #2 at beacon #0", it turns 90, not 45).

	I hope this new release gets out ASAP.
    There are much too many mods coming off the net for me
    to keep it straight.

    --Roland McGrath

--
		Roland McGrath

Illustrious-Title:	President, Hackers Anonymous International, Ltd., Inc.
In-Real-Life:		<Network unreachable>
Disclaimer:		<Connection refused>

UUCP: 			...!ucbvax!lbl-csam!lbl-rtsg!roland
ARPA:	 		roland@lbl-rtsg.ARPA