[net.sources.games] MORIA 4.8 availability

jason@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (03/03/87)

I posted a notice about moria source being available via anonymous ftp
from ucb jade.berkeley.edu.

I also said that I would not Email the source out.

Information:
   I do not have access to VMS machines on bitnet.
   VMS dump-tapes images do not ftp correctly (as far as I know)
   jade is a unix machine,  and the moria sources are in a unix style
      shell archive which has been compressed using compress.1
      I have provided source to compress also.

      The reason for the shar archive is that the moria sources run
      three levels of directory trees deep.
   I will make a directory tree image for those without shar and
   compress.

   I will not make them available via bitnet or Email,  I do not have
          ^^^
   the time,  nor am I willing to eat up our overloaded bitnet
   bandwidth, or peoples phone bills with 3+ meg of source.

   If I get any more flaming mail about it,  I will remove the version
   I have made available via ftp.

   Why don't one of you vms/bitnet wizards or uucp fans arrange to
   have a copy available via those means.  I do not have the time
   to deal with it.

Jason

Jason Venner
UUCP		{tektronix,dual,sun,ihnp4,decvax}!ucbvax!jade!jason
New style	jason@jade.berkeley.edu
ARPA | CSNET	jason%jade@Berkeley.ARPA
BITNET		jason@ucbjade.BITNET

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <2672@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> jason@violet.berkeley.edu(Jason Venner) writes:

>I posted a notice about moria source being available via anonymous ftp
>from ucb jade.berkeley.edu.
>
>   I do not have access to VMS machines on bitnet.
>   VMS dump-tapes images do not ftp correctly (as far as I know)
>   I will not make them available via bitnet or Email,  I do not have
>          ^^^
>   Why don't one of you vms/bitnet wizards or uucp fans arrange to
>   have a copy available via those means.  I do not have the time
>   to deal with it.

	First of all, thanks to jason for putting it out for ftp ('though
my ftp is so bad i still haven't gotten it all - sigh)

	second, vms backup tapes CAN be binary ftp'd just fine: with the caveat
that you must convert to 512 byte blocks first, and then back out to the vms
backup size.  I have several programs to do this if anyone is interested.

	Third, and most important, I DID consider making it available for
bitnet access except for the size....turns out that sending a file of this
size over bitnet will clog the bitnet for days to come (and our downstream
folks will send me hate mail for a month).  The last time I sent something
that size I had to break it up into several small files (each less than
75K) and send them one every 3-6 hours.... and I still got some flames.....
Face it, for large files of this type, bitnet just doesn't work like the
arpanet.....

-ed cetron
cetron@cs.utah.arpa
cetron@utahcc.bitnet