[net.sources.games] Rogue Versions

cim2@pyuxv.UUCP (Robert L. Fair) (04/22/87)

On our system we have 2 (TWO) entirely different versions of Rogue source !
One, pretty well written, contains the  line:

 	* @(#)main.c	3.27 (Berkeley) 6/15/81

in main, while the other seems to be the version posted on the net
recently, and is annonymous.

Can anyone comment on why there are two different rogue implementations
around ? Which is better ?

tims@zeus.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <276@pyuxv.UUCP>, cim2@pyuxv.UUCP (Robert L. Fair) writes:
> On our system we have 2 (TWO) entirely different versions of Rogue source !
> One, pretty well written, contains the  line:
>      * @(#)main.c    3.27 (Berkeley) 6/15/81
> in main, while the other seems to be the version posted on the net
> recently, and is annonymous.
> Can anyone comment on why there are two different rogue implementations
> around ? Which is better ?

If its the one I posted, it's not really annonymous, if you type 'v' during
the game, it should show you my name and net address.

Why are there two different implementations?  I can only tell you that I
wrote the second one for the following reasons:

    1.)  So that people could have their own rogue 5.3-like source to modify
         as they please.  Public domain source, that is.
    2.)  To get rid of nauseating bugs like the nymph bug, the save-game bug,
         the fly-trap teleport bug, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.  These
         bugs have a long and renowned history of ruining great games.
    3.)  I thought it would be fun, and it was.