[net.sf-lovers] Dr. Who radio

wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/01/86)

From: Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI <wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA>

Re the reference to the BBC radio version of Dr. Who (SFL #24):
I've been listening to the Dr. Who serial that has been being aired on BBC
shortwave for a few weeks, and I can only say that, so far, it's been awful.
It is Baker with Peri, and all it seems to be is a silly computer straight
out of "Hitchhiker" (similar voice, but feminine, to "Larry the shipboard
computer" from HGttG), and a lot of screaming. They seem to have spent
the first three episodes running from some indescribable horror lurking
in the airshafts of some spaceship. No particular plot has yet emerged.

Part of the problem is that the BBC is airing this in 7 or 8-minute-long
segments, far too short. I had expected 15-minute segments, and was
astounded when the first one ended at what would have been the halfway
point. Though, if they were not going to do anything any better than
this has been, maybe I should be happy that they are short! :-)

Anyway, if you have a shortwave radio, and want to catch the last one
or so of these (by the time you read this, there will probably be only
one left to go), try tuning on 9510 kHz or 5975 kHz at 0445 GMT Mondays.
(That's 10:45 PM CST Sunday nights.) Ironically, this is on at the same
time my local PBS station shows Dr. Who TV programs!

One other comment: A BBC publicity photo for this series, reproduced in
at least one of the shortwave-listener magazines, shows Peri in a very
sexually suggestive pose with Baker, with her clutching him from the side
and with her thigh lifted up and grinding into his groin. Seemed entirely
improper for Dr. Who to imply that he has a sexual relationship with his
companions. Is *that* how the later TV series portrays it? (I haven't
seen anything later than the first episode with Peri.)

Will

ins_bjab@jhunix.UUCP (Jessica A Browner) (02/03/86)

> and all it seems to be is a silly computer straight
> out of "Hitchhiker" (similar voice, but feminine, to "Larry the shipboard
> computer" from HGttG) . . .

  Ouch!  Sorry to complain, but Eddie ("hi guys!") was the shipboard
computer.

                                                         :-)

Wahl.ES@Xerox.COM@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/05/86)

From: Wahl.ES@Xerox.COM

A friend of mine from England sent me a tape of the Doctor Who radio
series, entitled "Slipback" I believe, and I quite enjoyed it.
Certainly, it was geared for a younger audience, and it gets rather
silly at times.  But, like Doctor Who in general, if you don't try to
take it too seriously, it's a lot of fun.

For me, the biggest problem with the radio series is Peri's voice.
She's always sounded like fingernails on a blackboard to me, but it's
far more easily tolerated when watching episodes than when just sitting
and listening to a tape.  I suppose the British don't notice as all
Americans sound that way to them!

I haven't seen of heard of the publicity photo Will mentions and find it
quite shocking.  I don't think the episodes with Peri imply any sexual
relation with the Doctor, although she's obviously there as a sex object
for the male audience, so I'm rather surprised that the BBC would make
such a photo.  Wasn't it they (or was it John Nathan-Turner) who said,
"No hanky-panky in the TARDIS"?

--Lisa

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (02/15/86)

>   No, sorry, Romana will never dress the way Leela did (and neither will
> anyone else, for that matter).  But if you keep watching, you still have
> Tegan's leather mini-skirt and Peri's bikini to look forward to!

Or Nyssa's dropping her skirt in "Terminus" :-)

Why don't y'all c'mon over to net.tv.drwho, where the action really is.
It makes things difficult for me to have to read BOTH net.tv.drwho and
net.sf-lovers for notes of interest.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------