[net.sf-lovers] Cordwainer Smith book...

JARRELLRA%VTVAX5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/11/86)

From: Ronald A. Jarrell  <JARRELLRA%VTVAX5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

The one with the "This is the middle, this is the beginning, etc." in it
is Norstrillia.  As I recall it was the only full length novel Smith
wrote, and was supposed to be the centerpiece for his stories of the
Instrumentality of Man.  I picked it up cold one day and read it. Enjoyed
it enough that I went out and got the rest of his stories.

-Ron

mroth@ihu1e.UUCP (roth) (02/13/86)

> From: Ronald A. Jarrell  <JARRELLRA%VTVAX5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
>

> The one with the "This is the middle, this is the beginning, etc." in it
> is Norstrillia.  As I recall it was the only full length novel Smith
> wrote, and was supposed to be the centerpiece for his stories of the
> Instrumentality of Man.  I picked it up cold one day and read it. Enjoyed
> it enough that I went out and got the rest of his stories.
>
> -Ron

I recall reading a short story which had the same idea of middle, end,
beginning.  It was in a collection my parents have called something
like "Best Science Fiction of 1948".  I do not have access to the
book, though.

Mike

--
-----------------
ihnp4!ihlpa!mroth

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (02/15/86)

> The one with the "This is the middle, this is the beginning, etc." in it
> is Norstrillia.
   Nope, Norstrilia starts out with a two page summary of the entire story,
followed by the words "The details follow".
   I had thought at first that the referenced story MUST be a Cordwainer
Smith story, but after reviewing ALL of the existing CS stories, I find
I was mistaken.  The closest thing I've been able to come up with is
Harlan Ellison's "Repent, Harlequin, said the Tik Tok Man", which starts
very like the original quote.
   I STILL recommend Cordwainer Smith to anyone who hasn't read his
stories...

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {your favorite backbone site}!hplabs!well!farren