[net.music.synth] C-Music

brb@entropy.UUCP (Ben Blakely) (03/11/85)

Can anyone (hopefully someone down there at UC of San Diego) help me with
C-music installation (vax 11/750)?  Specifically: I need more information
on the libraries specified in include/carl/config.m4.  The release was
loaded with tar into ~/c_music.  Which of those libraries are system libraries
(like, do you really need fortran libraries?) and which will be found buried
deep in these nested directories from the release?

Thanks in advance...

zadco@ssc-vax.UUCP (Rick Fairfield) (03/12/85)

> Can anyone (hopefully someone down there at UC of San Diego) help me with
> C-music installation (vax 11/750)?  ...

Excuse me for butting in here, but if this means that there is some
music s/w written in C that I could get access to I sure would like
to have it.
							thanx,
							zzzzzadco

rds5695@ritcv.UUCP (Robert D. Seals) (03/14/85)

> > Can anyone (hopefully someone down there at UC of San Diego) help me with
> > C-music installation (vax 11/750)?  ...
>
> Excuse me for butting in here, but if this means that there is some
> music s/w written in C that I could get access to I sure would like
> to have it.
> 							thanx,
> 							zzzzzadco

I think that would probably go for most of the rest of us out here
in a barren, non-research-environment netland. Most of us probably know
little or nothing about C-music from the UC SanDiego, but I bet
we'd be real interested. Why don't youz guys out there TELL us something
about C-music. Maybe we would be interested - maybe we could even help!

                            Robert of a non-research educational institute

rps@apollo.uucp (Robert Stanzel) (03/17/85)

> > Excuse me for butting in here, but if this means that there is some
> > music s/w written in C that I could get access to I sure would like
> > to have it.
>
> I think that would probably go for most of the rest of us out here
> in a barren, non-research-environment netland. Most of us probably know
> little or nothing about C-music from the UC SanDiego, but I bet
> we'd be real interested. Why don't youz guys out there TELL us something
> about C-music. Maybe we would be interested - maybe we could even help!

It took me quite a while to track down the CARL distribution stuff; here's
what I found out.  Quotes are from their 11/28/84 announcement letter.

"Another revision of the Computer Audio Research Laboratory (CARL) software
distribution tape is now available.  It contains over 115 programs and
libraries for research and production in digital audio and computer music.
As in the past, the software is distributed free of charge, and is in the
public domain.

"The programs are for signal processing, sound synthesis/analysis...
developed... using a VAX11/780, running the Berkeley 4.1c Distribution...
operating system.

The tape costs $100.  First get a "Software Distribution Agreement" from

    Ms. Susan Blakney, Administrative Assistant
    Center for Music Experiment, Q-037
    U.C.S.D.
    La Jolla, CA  92093

*

We haven't had much time to work with the software yet -- we're in the middle
of a software release!  Our intention is to port the software to Apollo systems
to our C compiler, 4.2 port, and a homebrew Multibus DAC board.  Also, an
obvious extension is to distribute the computation where possible throughout
our corporate ring.

Someone at CARL who seems willing to answer questions is
    "sdcarl!rusty"@berkeley.arpa

They apparently don't have a public-access mailing list for distribution,
surprisingly.  I'll set one up if there's interest.

Rob
--

"Satellites are out tonight"

Rob Stanzel             ARPA:  Rps%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC
Apollo Computer         UUCP:  ...{yale,uw-beaver,decvax!wanginst}!apollo!rps

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/18/85)

> "The programs are for signal processing, sound synthesis/analysis...
> developed... using a VAX11/780, running the Berkeley 4.1c Distribution...
> operating system.

We have CMUSIC, it tends to have two annoying traits that may have been
fixed (our distribution is ancient).  One is that it is tremendously
inefficient.  Execing a program for each note makes things real modular,
but it would be alot better if they'd use exec rather than invoking a shell
everytime.  The other cute thing is that if you overdrive your digital output,
rather than clipping, it just omits those samples causing the time period
to shrink.  I've got a little front end that makes entering the scores
a little faster, not graphical, but getting there.  I can however use the
C preprocessor.

-Ron