[net.music.synth] Needed: Technical info on MIDI

donn@neurad.UUCP (Donn S. Fishbein) (04/23/85)

I am looking for a pointer to technical information on the MIDI
interface..has a formal standard been published, or at least a
good technical article explaining the protocols.  I'm looking for
the type of information that would permit one to write their own
interface software.

--
Donn S. Fishbein, MD (N3DNT) ..!harpo!seismo!nbs-amrf!neurad!donn (301)496-6801

nebula@sftig.UUCP (nebula) (04/26/85)

> I am looking for a pointer to technical information on the MIDI
> interface..has a formal standard been published, or at least a
> good technical article explaining the protocols.  I'm looking for
> the type of information that would permit one to write their own
> interface software.
>
> --
> Donn S. Fishbein, MD (N3DNT) ..!harpo!seismo!nbs-amrf!neurad!donn (301)496-6801

A copy of the MIDI specification can be obtained from Sequential Circuits in San
Jose, CA for $1.50.  The complete address is in the most recent issue of "COMPUTER
MUSIC" by MIT press.  This specification should enable an experienced programmer to
generate functional software.  Although I haven't actually seen the spec.  I do
suspect however, that it is more hardware oriented; intended for VAR types to gen-
erate workable interfaces, "music boxes" and the like.

As far as good technical articles go, I haven't seen any published; only articles
talking about it.  I should think that there are people on this net who have done
enough MIDI programming that would be able to post (an) article(s) about:

	1. Helpfull hints
	2. Techncal information
	3. General information

Last thought,  I haven't seen any references on this net to the above mentioned
publcation.  I have subscribed to it for about 4 years and find it to be an infor-
mative, interesting, pertinent publication.  So, if synthesizers, computers, psycho-
acoustics, psychology, composition etc. interest you, then check it out!  Sorry if
this sounds of a commercial, but I find this subject of great interest and really
do feel motivated by it.

					Doug Donahue
					AT&T Bell Labs
					attunix!dr_d
					201 522 6175

seltzer@opus.UUCP (Wayne Seltzer) (04/26/85)

I posted this once before, but for the benefit of new readers of this
newsgroup, here it is again...
I recently mailed away to the International MIDI association in search of a
copy of the MIDI specification. Well, I guess nothing is free, because they
sent me a membership application instead. So, I sent them $40 to become a
member and am patiently awaiting their package so I can figure out what
those funny 5-pin DINs on the back of my Yamaha DX-7 do.

Anyway, the following is a copy of what I have received from IMA, reprinted
without permission. (I can't think of any reason they should care, can you?)
If you are interested in becoming a member, you could probably get away with
editing the application at the end of this and save youself some time.

Wayne Seltzer		...nbires!seltzer
NBI Inc.
Boulder, CO 80301	(303) 444-5710

==== cut here ===============================================================

IMA the International MIDI Association
11857 Hartsook St.
North Hollywood, California 91607, USA
(818) 505-8964

Dear MIDI Enthusiast,

Thank you for your interest in the International MIDI Association.
The International MIDI Association (IMA) is a non-profit organization
dedicated to the growth, development and promotion of the Musical Instrumnet
Digital Interface (MIDI) and musical/computer interfacing.

At this time, the IMA is made up of musical and computer equipment
manufacturers and developers, software developers, retailers, educators,
musicians, technicians and hobbyists.  If you are interested in the coupling
of computers to music you too could benifit from joining the IMA.

IMA membership includes the _MIDI Specification_ and other support data.
The _IMA Bulletin_ is the industry's first publication deicated totally to
MIDI related products and news. It is published each month and contains news
of upcoming seminars, MIDI productsm applicatiosn notes, software and
hardware reviews, a monthly question and answer column, plus other related
topics. IMA membership also offers you the IMA DataBase; an electronic
library filled with MIDI user and related information.  IMA also offers a
technical support hotline to answer your questions about MIDI.  We will also
offer special services, publications, and materials for separate fees.

There are a variety of IMA membership classes designed to fit your needs.

Manufacturer/Distributor/Software Developer Membership
$300 per year U.S.   $350 per year Foreign.
This membership applies to manufacturers, developers, software developers
and distributors of MIDI related products.  Includes up to 5 full
memberships for key staff and up to 5 copiesd of the IMA Bulletin, all MIDI
updates, access to manufacturers deicated DataBase files, updates on
manufacturer related foreign correspondence and  a copy of the MIDI
Specification with support materials.

Retailer/Educator Membership
----------------------------
$125 per year U.S.   $175 per year Foreign.
This membership applies to retailers and all educational institutions.
Includes full membership and up to 5 copies of the IMA bulletin for key
staff, access to retailer/educator dedicated DataBase files and a copy of the
MIDI Specification with support materials.

End User/Technician Membership
------------------------------
$40 per year U.S.    $55 per year Foreign.
This membership applies to those not involved in the sale or development of
MIDI related products and also not an educational institution.  Membership
includes the IMA Bulletin, access to end user dedicated DataBase, access to
technical support hotline and a copy of the MIDI Specification with support
materials.

Things are moving quickly in the world of MIDI and to stay on top you need
the most timely information available.  The IMA is the one central source for
MIDI related facts, details and developments are well as the best way to get
plugged into a network of MIDI interested people.  This is where the real
excitement begins.

The IMA has recently undergone some management changes and now has a new
BOard of Directors.  We are looking forward to a very exciting year.  Your
input into how can best serve your needs is both appreciated and welcomed.

						Sincerely,

						Karen Rockey Morin
						President

KRM/pt
ENCL.

IMA the International MIDI Association
11857 Hartsook St.
North Hollywood, California 91607, USA
(818) 505-8964

		    End User Membership Application
Name:
Address:

Phone:
Age:
Birthdate:

How are you making your payment ? Check___ or Money Order___
Please make pyamnet in U.S. dollars only.
End User Membership fee is $40.00. Make check payable to IMA.

The following information is for the IMA DataBase Computer.
Please fill out as completely as possible.

  May we give other members your:
	----    	yes  no

	Name		--- ---
	Address		--- ---
	Phone Number	--- ---

  I would be interested in product literature from manufacturers. Yes ___

What MIDI related equipment do you own?

What computer hardware do you own?

What are your IMA interests?

What types of music equipment will you be investigating for your personal or
	firm's use next year?

What computer languages do you work in?

Occupation?

FOR OFFICE USE ONLY

		Received________     Packet sent__________

--
Wayne Seltzer			{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!seltzer
NBI Inc., Boulder, CO		(303) 444-5710

ebs@tymix.UUCP (Elliot B. Schneider) (05/01/85)

Just an update on the two previous postings-  the last I talked with them,
Sequential Circuits is no longer handling distribution of the MIDI spec and
is referring people the the IMA (International MIDI Association).  Personally,
I think people who subscribe to this group should support the IMA by joining,
but if the MIDI spec is all you want, they will send it to you for $1.50,
according to their last issue.  A subscription, however, will get you the
IMA Bulletin every month, keeping you up to date on latest MIDI stuff.

For DX-7 users, the January 1984 IMA Bulletin listed the DX-7 MIDI data
formats.  I believe the issue may be backordered from IMA.

If people are interested, I can post a couple of FORTH screens that I've
been using to do some MIDI programming.  I'm going on vacation, though, so
it'll be a couple of weeks until I can do that posting.

  Elliot Schneider @ ...decvax!ucbvax!hplabs!oliveb!tymix!ebs

tobias@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/10/85)

> > I am looking for a pointer to technical information on the MIDI
> > interface..has a formal standard been published, or at least a
> > good technical article explaining the protocols.  I'm looking for
> > the type of information that would permit one to write their own
> > interface software.
> >
> > --
> > Donn S. Fishbein, MD (N3DNT) ..!harpo!seismo!nbs-amrf!neurad!donn (301)496-6801
>
> A copy of the MIDI specification can be obtained from Sequential Circuits in San
> Jose, CA for $1.50.  The complete address is in the most recent issue of "COMPUTER
> MUSIC" by MIT press.  This specification should enable an experienced programmer to
> generate functional software.  Although I haven't actually seen the spec.  I do
> suspect however, that it is more hardware oriented; intended for VAR types to gen-
> erate workable interfaces, "music boxes" and the like.
>
> As far as good technical articles go, I haven't seen any published; only articles
> talking about it.  I should think that there are people on this net who have done
> enough MIDI programming that would be able to post (an) article(s) about:
>
> 	1. Helpfull hints
> 	2. Techncal information
> 	3. General information
>
> Last thought,  I haven't seen any references on this net to the above mentioned
> publcation.  I have subscribed to it for about 4 years and find it to be an infor-
> mative, interesting, pertinent publication.  So, if synthesizers, computers, psycho-
> acoustics, psychology, composition etc. interest you, then check it out!  Sorry if
> this sounds of a commercial, but I find this subject of great interest and really
> do feel motivated by it.
>
> 					Doug Donahue
> 					AT&T Bell Labs
> 					attunix!dr_d
> 					201 522 6175

	I tried to send mail to Doug Donahue, but it didn't make it.  Could
someone please answer my question?

From: Jay Tobias <tobias@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA>
To: attunix!dr_d@cit-mercury
Subject:        MIDI

Can you please tell me how to subscribe to the publication by the MIT Press?
I am very interested in devoloping my own functional interface between a
computer and musical equipment.  This way I know it will be done right and
have all the features I want.

Jay Tobias
tobias@ucla-cs.arpa
{...ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!tobias