[net.music.synth] Info on Yamaha CX5M

kurtenba@sask.UUCP (Gordon Kurtenbach) (05/14/85)

Are there any owners of Yamaha CX5M music computers who are willing to
offer their opinions on the machine? I am seriously considering buying one
for use in my home studio. I am mainly concerned about the following points:

    - how does its sound quality and flexibility compare to other Yamaha
keyboards? The local music dealer tells me its about equivalent to a DX9.

    - What about the FM Music composer? Does the keyboard driven interface
become tedious?

    - Ideally I'd like have a synch signal on one track of my multitrack
and use this to synchronize the CX5M. I know the FM music composer cannot
handle external synch signals. I've heard mention that Yamaha will be
releasing a sequencer this summer. Has anyone heard any details about this?
(It seems to me the ultimate set up would be just to allow FM music
composer to be externally synched). Are there any other products on the
market which handle sequencing to tape?

Gord Kurtenbach.

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/15/85)

> Are there any owners of Yamaha CX5M music computers who are willing to

I got to look at one in the store.  I am underwhelmed.  It could have been
good, but it will only amount to a toy because they limitted the functions
too much.  It's just a video game with a decent sound chip.

>     - What about the FM Music composer? Does the keyboard driven interface
> become tedious?

2000 note sequencers are really useful [SARCASM MODE]

> I've heard mention that Yamaha will be
> releasing a sequencer this summer. Has anyone heard any details about this?
> (It seems to me the ultimate set up would be just to allow FM music
> composer to be externally synched). Are there any other products on the
> market which handle sequencing to tape?

The sequencer is out, I've seen the brochures, but not the unit yet.  It
looks rather nice, but again, It is probably going to take a major revision
to the Musical Video game to make it do anything REAL.

-Ron

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (05/18/85)

In article <10698@brl-tgr.ARPA> ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:

>The sequencer is out, I've seen the brochures, but not the unit yet.  It
>looks rather nice, but again, It is probably going to take a major revision
>to the Musical Video game to make it do anything REAL.

THere are two of them, actually. The QX1 clocks in at the high 2K-high 3k
range (I think it's $2795 list) and supposedly does everything but babysit
your children. Built in disk drive and all. THey're pushing it with that
little rack mount dingus that holds 7 dx7s in a box.

However, the British press has a lot of stuff in it about a smaller set
of units that clock in at considerably less cost. Theyre called the QX7 and
TX7 respectively. The sequencer is smaller and handles two other tracks
or 16 simultaneous notes (the Brit press isn't clear here), and the TX is
a little ole dx7 in a box. The sequencer is listed as running 499 pounds
or so, which is a bit more inthe proce range. I'd guess that if this iis
the norm,you'll see those products here at the June Namm show in chicago.

By the way, if any of you can find it, I'd recommend that you try and hunt
up a copy of the Brit mag ONE TWO TESTING. It's published by the same
folks who do NME, and their reviews are a good deal more than a simple
listing of product information and a free review for the company. You get
the idea that the reviewers have a certain bias (they're quite straight
on it), but the reviews are actually *very* informative. They've actually
taken the stuff home and fooled with it themselves instead of reading the
brochures and hacking with stuff in the dealer rep's hotel room for 20
minutes. Also, the British have stuff released there a good 5 months-year
ahead of us. Stuff like the DX5....

Greg

Once I was young:once I was smart:now I'm living on the edge of my nerves:-Japan
Gregory Alan Taylor:162 Clark Hall:Cornell University:Ithaca,NY 14850:USA
USENET:		{cmcl2,decvax,ihnp4}!cornell!lasspvax!gtaylor
ARPANET:	gtaylor@lasspvax.arpa
BITNET:		gtaylor@crnlthry.bitnet