[net.sf-lovers] Why does everyone want to leave this planet?

phillips@cisden.UUCP (02/19/86)

In article <2960@ut-ngp.UUCP> cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (Charles S. Geiger, Esq.) writes:
>Well, why?  While I am very interested in astronomy and all that
>sort of thing, I don't understand why anyone would want to
>permanently migrate to another planet.  There's just so much *here*
>to see and learn, certainly enough to last a lifetime!  Most
>importantly, this is our home.
>Frankly, I hope all of you gung-ho types will get the opportunity
>to leave and will take advantage of it.  That way all the
>exploiters, conquerors, or, to be charitable, "adventurous" types
>(what's so unadventurous about staying here and learning about your
>own planet?) will leave, and I can be at peace here.
>charles s. geiger
>just a wage slave

In reading Gordon Dickson's Childe Cycle novels I always thought his thesis
about people not leaving Earth for this kind of reason was stretched and
unrealistic.  Here's one wage slave that showed me that Dickson was right.
Unbelievable.
--
						Tommy Phillips
From the banks of the great grey-green greasy Limpopo River,