[net.sf-lovers] Jack L. Chalker

jjs@cbdkc1.UUCP (Jeff Sager) (02/17/86)

[]

I was just poking through the sf section of a typical paperback book store
the other day (B.Dalton?) and came across a Jack L. Chalker book I had never
heard of or seen mentioned before.  Maybe I'm just out of touch, the book has
a 1979 copyright.  It is titled _A_War_of_Shadows_.

Though identifiably Chalker style, it is quite a bit different from most
of his other works.  For those who like the plot within plot ideas of DUNE
fame, this story has it.  It IS "science" fiction, not pure fantasy, but it
doesn't require more than freshman general science to understand.  I enjoyed
it a great deal and would recommend it to anyone who reads general fiction
and likes quick paced good vs evil stories.

Has anyone out there seen this book and/or a review of it before, or did I
happen across some old unsold has_been book?

Jeff Sager       ...!cbdkc1!jjs

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (02/19/86)

In article <1311@cbdkc1.UUCP> jjs@cbdkc1.UUCP ( Jeff Sager ) writes:
>[]
>
>I was just poking through the sf section of a typical paperback book store
>the other day (B.Dalton?) and came across a Jack L. Chalker book I had never
>heard of or seen mentioned before.  Maybe I'm just out of touch, the book has
>a 1979 copyright.  It is titled _A_War_of_Shadows_.
>
>Though identifiably Chalker style, it is quite a bit different from most
>of his other works.  For those who like the plot within plot ideas of DUNE
>fame, this story has it.  It IS "science" fiction, not pure fantasy, but it
>doesn't require more than freshman general science to understand.  I enjoyed
>it a great deal and would recommend it to anyone who reads general fiction
>and likes quick paced good vs evil stories.
>
>Has anyone out there seen this book and/or a review of it before, or did I
>happen across some old unsold has_been book?

They're re-releasing all of Jack Chalker's books that are out of print,
including such modern classics (sic) as "Web of the Chozen" and "Dancers
in the Afterglow". Most of his books tend to have similar plots, so it
was a pleasant surprise to find "Shadows" on the shelves. I bought it mainly
'cause among the first towns to get destroyed was Berwick, Maine, the town
right next to the place I used to live.

Jack Chalker has also written a World War II novel, which title escapes me
now, and nobody gets changed to anything else in it.

--

Bruce Holloway
Digital Research, Inc.

....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
(I'm not THAT Bruce Holloway, I'm the other one.)