[net.music.synth] Korg Poly-61

mohan@uscvax.UUCP (Rakesh Mohan) (06/18/85)

 I recently purchased a used Korg Poly-61. I believe that the original
factory programmed voices in it have been screwed up by the previous owner.
The manual says that the details of the 64 preprogrammed sounds are listed
at the end of the manual, but I have not been able to locate them - maybe
some pages are missing.

 I am a novice at synthesizers and would deeply appreciate a listing of
the various settings on the Korg Poly-61 for instruments like piano, flute
etc. If anybody has these (and other) voices on tape, I am ready to pay for
a copy of the tape and mailing expenses.

 Any other information related to the Korg Poly-61 will also be welcome.

Thanks.

Rakesh Mohan

mohan@eclc.arpa
mohan@usc-cse

rwn@iham1.UUCP (Bob Neumann) (06/26/85)

Advice to Korg Poly-61 Owner:

If you need a copy of the original data cassette, CALL THE COMPANY!
Companies appreciate hearing from customers, and they will no
doubt have a spare data cassette in stock that they can send to you
for a reasonable charge.

If you have problems with company customer relations, post
it to this newsgroup as I am sure other readers would be
interested in how well certain synth companies treat their
customers.

peterb@pbear.UUCP (07/02/85)

	I have the Korg Poly-61m, and the data-cassette system is far from
reliable. I had the battery blow in mine while it was under warrenty, and Korg
was very quick and helpful in replacing not only the battery, but the ENTIRE
works since that would cut down on possible failures stemming from the battery.

The only problem came when I wanted to reload a cassette I made with settings
that I had. I recorded this tape using DBX on a TEAC reel to reel (I believe in
overkill). When reloading, everything worked right (according to the
instructions), but the data was wrong. The same happend with my poly-800. I
tried the factory cassettes, and the resulrs were worse. repeated loadings
would work fine, but the setting would scramble (i.e some setting came out
unscathed, while others were messed up entirely).

The battery backup system is great, but be safe rather thans sorry, WRITE down
all the settings to the synth. (as it is, I am looking for the original patches
to the poly-800 by KORG) (anybody have them, mail them to me...)

I think that manufacturues should have there settiings sent over midi as a set
of key sequences where the key number is that parameter, and the sustain time
is the value ... This way it can be recorded in sequencers, etc...

Any Ideas???

Please somebody maile me the settings for the poly-800 !!!

Peter Barada
{ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb

chriss@midas.UUCP (Chris Shirkoff) (07/15/85)

In article <5400015> <peterb@pbear.UUCP> writes:

>	I have the Korg Poly-61m, and the data-cassette system is far
>from reliable...
>
>The only problem came when I wanted to reload a cassette ...
>... recorded this tape using DBX on a TEAC reel to reel

Your problem is that you are using too good a deck.  Seriously!
I had problems using my cassette until I went and got myself a
cheap ($30) portable cassette.  Data being saved goes to the MIC
input (most synths love to save a HOT signal); I load from the
EARPHONE output -- at almost full volume (they like it even hotter
on the way back).  It seems that Roland sends a hot sinewave out,
expecting a severely clipped (read almost square) signal back from
the tape.  From talking to other users, the Korg is similar, although
I don't have first-hand experience with it.

Since I started using my present setup, I've never had a problem.
Good luck to you and anyone else experiencing the same problems.

UUCP:	tektronix!midas!chriss
USMAIL:	Chris Shirkoff
	Tektronix, Inc.,
	PO Box 4600  MS 94-442