[net.music.synth] Sax sounds and DX7

bill@crystal.UUCP (08/17/85)

A friend of mine is trying to get something approaching a realistic sax
(alto/tenor/baritone; he can do a soprano reasonably well) on a Yamaha DX7.

The settings suggested by Yamaha are completely unrealistic.
He has spectrograms of steady-state sounds (which I found in some articles
from the Journal of the Audio Eng. Soc), but just mimicking the harmonic
mix doesn't seem to do the trick.

Please *M*A*I*L* any suggestions to me.  I will summarize and post if
there is any interest.

	bill

	William Cox
	Computer Sciences Department
	University of Wisconsin, Madison WI
	bill@uwisc
	...{ihnp4,seismo,allegra}!uwvax!bill

P.S. I haven't done anything with the synthesizer, but have a fair amount
of experience with acoustics and recording engineering.  I'd be happy
to pass any requests/information both ways if anyone wants to correspond
with him.  My friend has had a wealth of musical experience (arranging for
movie studios, pop [old sense, e.g., Sinatra, Goulet] performers, and
jazz).

P.P.S. If there's a better place to post this, or if there is a Yamaha DX7
mailing list or group, please let me know.  Thanks in advance.
--
	William Cox
	Computer Sciences Department
	University of Wisconsin, Madison WI
	bill@uwisc
	...{ihnp4,seismo,allegra}!uwvax!bill

peterb@pbear.UUCP (08/18/85)

I don;t think that a DX-7 can do a Sax any justice. It just doesn't have
enough oscilators that can be inter-dependent to produce a decent Sax.
As for recommendations, by a Mirage, it has a real hot Sax in it!

Peter Barada
{ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb

meg@ulysses.UUCP (Mark Glickman) (08/20/85)

> I don;t think that a DX-7 can do a Sax any justice. It just doesn't have
> enough oscilators that can be inter-dependent to produce a decent Sax.
> As for recommendations, by a Mirage, it has a real hot Sax in it!
>
> Peter Barada
> {ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb

Try using the breath controller for the factory preset of the sax sound.
It's a lot more convincing that way.

ron@brl (Ron Natalie) (08/21/85)

The only effect I ever get out of the Breath Controller and the DX-7
is hyperventillation.

-Ron