[net.music.synth] DX7 Inquiry

fft@philabs.UUCP (Fryderyk Tyra) (08/29/85)

I am reposting this since I didn't get any responses last time.  I'm
not sure if this ever made it outside of Philabs.

	I'm a relatively new DX7 owner and I'd like to get any
useful info that I can on my new toy.  I have a few questions
for you netlanders:

1) Are there any books or magazines (or any other literature for
that matter) on the DX7 that you would recomend?

2) Are there any services that you know of that distribute new voices
for the DX7 (such as Key Clique that advertises in Keboard Magazine)?
Also, I'd like to get your reviews of these services since some of
them are quite expensive (Key Clique: 1 Month is $50, 6 Months is $240!!).
The format that these voicings come in is also important to know about
because that might involve some expensive hardware.

3) Are there any programs(hardware) that do both voice archiving and
help you generate new voices ( and maybe has a built in sequencer )?

4) Are there any places to get cheaper RAM cartriges or is there any way
to make them cheaper ( the price I saw them listed for was $75 (choke..gasp!!)).

	I will sumarize and post any replies I get.

			TNX in advance.

				-from the depths of Fritter

--

   "Wow, this is intense!"
        " ...life of a Repo man is always intense!"

hedger@ada-uts.UUCP (09/01/85)

I do not own a dx-7 but from what I understand there is a manual out
by a Japanese guy (KenFujita??????) that is supposed to be pretty
useful. One of the last two or three KeyboardMagazines had a review of
it in their 'Reviews' column.
keith hedger - intermetrics

rosen@ucbvax.ARPA (Rob Rosen) (09/05/85)

In article <30100014@ada-uts.UUCP> hedger@ada-uts.UUCP writes:

>I do not own a dx-7 but from what I understand there is a manual out
>by a Japanese guy (KenFujita??????) that is supposed to be pretty
>useful. One of the last two or three KeyboardMagazines had a review of
>it in their 'Reviews' column.
>keith hedger - intermetrics

   In the last KEYBOARD magazine issue (Sept. '85), the book was panned
   because apparently the translation was word-for-word from the Japanese
   version of the book, and it was the reviewer's opinion that most of
   the book's qualities were lost in the translation.  However, a lot of
   people were looking forward to its release because apparently most
   synthesists feel that the DX-7 is relatively hard to program, and so
   any coherent advice on programming the DX-7 was felt to be worthy
   of attention.   Since I am considering purchasing a DX-7, is anyone
   out there unhappy with the apparent effort needed to program it?

	       thanks,

--

		       --Rob Rosen

		       ...ucbvax!rosen
		       rosen@ucb-vax.berkeley.edu

gtaylor@astroatc.UUCP (09/05/85)

> I do not own a dx-7 but from what I understand there is a manual out
> by a Japanese guy (KenFujita??????) that is supposed to be pretty
> useful. One of the last two or three KeyboardMagazines had a review of
> it in their 'Reviews' column.
> keith hedger - intermetrics

The book in question is about the only one out, and ITS a Japanese translation-
nearly a verbatim one, from my general knowledge of Nihonspeak. Expect lots of
dropped articles and peculiar translations (for example, the Brit translator
uses "tickle" for "modulate". From my point of view, it's very little different
from the owner's manual padded with lots of extra examples and pictures of
data entry sequences. The advantage it *does* have is a complete listing of
the presets for both the international and the regular DX, plus a couple of
peculiar patches that Yasuhiro (or is it Katsuhiro? Yeah, I bet that's it)
Fukuda has come up with himself. If you're looking for the perfect intuitive
book on learning additive synthesis, forget it. I hope this helps.

Greg